Intrepid Itinerary

Norfolk Travel Blog

The Intrepid, an aircraft carrier, which my husband was serving on was supposed to have the following itinerary

11 June - Leave Norfolk
21 June - Arrive Med
23 June to 26 June - Palma Majorca
3 to 8 July - Cannes (refuel)
10 July to 15 July - Naples

(do sea maneuvers)

23 July - one day in Rota Spain
25-30 July - Valencia Spain
1 August - anchor off Majorca - no liberty
3 to 8 August - Toulon France
15 - 22 August - Naples

24 August - leave Med

Between 3rd and 5th of September - arrive home in Norfolk.

However this schedule was not kept - I think they skipped Cannes and were in Nice instead, and then they went to Cannes after the July visit to Naples.  And they went to Marseilles instead of Toulon.

I was to meet him in Valencia at the end of July, and Toulon and Naples in August.

I stayed in six hotels on this trip.  I found the ones in Madrid, Lisbon and Granada.  I do not know the names of the hotels in Naples or Valencia, and the site in Marseilles is no longer a hotel

Getting to Germany was a protracted trip.  Early in the morning of the 14th, I packed up my children in Norfolk and drove three hours to Baltimore. There, I left my two children with my mom. My oldest daughter was almost 3 and my baby was 10 months old when I left the US. I wrote postcards throughout the trip to my three year old daughter.

From Baltimore I took a train to Philadelphia (a couple of hours) to meet the German Society group

The group had a chartered bus which went to New York (another couple of hours), where we took a plane. This is what I wrote about it to my mom with also the postcards I wrote to my children.  My mother retyped the letters (and added comments) to send to various family members (including my husband)

The car I boarded [in Baltimore] was a smoker, so I moved forward and this car is air-conditioned and is "No Smoking". There was a little red headed boy here but his mother called him back to her so now I have a seat to myself. I bought a carton of milk to drink with my lunch, which is delicious (the lunch, the milk was Sealtest). Daddy's sandwiches would have cost 85 cents to buy. I ate the pickles and the lettuce too, but I am saving the apple and cake for later.

nolan says:
This is definitely a heirloom gone digital! Great story and photos, in an era before I was born. While reading your blog, I was listening to Burt Bacharach's (sung by Dionne Warwick) "Trains, Boats and Planes", but then, this song is from 1965 - so a year after your trip.
Posted on: Apr 23, 2017