The stars of Hong Kong

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Park at the nunnery

We had arrived fairly late yesterday hence we decided to sleep in a bit this morning instead of rushing out at the crack of dawn. When we head out we take the metro a couple of stations to a pretty boring area – but it are home to a nice restaurant in the form of one of the Tim Ho Wan outlets in Hong Kong. We had tried Tim Ho Wan a couple of years ago in Taipei and had found the restaurant were serving top notch dim sum – so we decide to give it a go for a bit of brunch at the Hong Kong outlet where the Tim Ho Wan chain were first established.

There was a long line in front of the restaurant so we had to wait for half an hour or so before we finally got a table. It was well worth the wait and the dim sum was very delicious. The service is quick so the meal doesn’t take very long.

Tower in the park
Hence we decide to head back to the station and take the MRT to go to a small temple a bit away from down town. I never been out there before so it is a pleasure to go out and see the temple which is a quite oasis in the bustling town.

We walk around the Chi Lin nunnery for a while taking in the nice Chinese structure and the many golden Buddha statues. After having looked around the nunnery for a while we head out into the Nan Lian garden which is right outside the nunnery. There are a lot of people out in the garden enjoying there Sunday – there are a lot of women probably from Indonesia out in the garden – I figure it is the maids/nannies of the wealthier local residents going out enjoying the Sunday where they don’t have to take care of somebody else’s kids.

Tower and bridge

We haven’t actually done much sightseeing so far – but the lack of sleep the last couple of nights are taking its toll – and we have restaurant reservations for tonight and I really want to enjoy the dinner. I figure the only way to enjoy dinner tonight is if I get an afternoon nap – so much against my nature I have to quit sightseeing and go to sleep in the middle of daylight hours.

After a couple of hours sleep I feel much better and am ready to head out to the restaurant. It is a short walk to the hotel where the restaurant is located. I have been looking forward to this place since the restaurant has finally gotten that coveted third star in the Michelin guide and I really can’t afford to go to that kind of establishments paying European prices – and fortunately the prices here is a bit more budget friendly without being dirt cheap.

Big bonsai like trees
It is a great dinner with good service.

Full after dinner we head out to enjoy the stars of the night. We head down to the harbor to spot the Star Ferry – you can’t really go to Hong Kong without at least seeing one of those ferries constantly crossing the harbor. Down at the harbor is a couple of Christmas displays which is actually more elaborate than anything you will see back in my hometown where Christmas is a much bigger deal than it is here in Hong Kong. After having a look at the displays we head back towards our hotel walking by the famous Peninsula Hotel which also got a bit of Christmas display complete with stars and everything.

HORSCHECK says:
Congrats on your featured blog. Hong Kong is still on my must-visit list. Greetings from sunny Germany.
DAO says:
Congratulations!
mountaingirl says:
Congrats on the feature! NZ is one of the next places on the list. I love the profile picture to this blog :)
The nunnery entrance
waterfall and flowers
waterfall and flowers
Hong Kong Sights & Attractions review
The quite monastery
The Chi Lin nunnery is a pretty old monastery located in Kowloon pretty far from the central parts around the harbor. The monastery in from the 1930… read entire review
Hong Kong Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Top class Cantonese cusine
The Tang Court restaurant is named after a Chinese dynasty which ruled china from the seventh to tenth century. It is considered the as a high point i… read entire review
Hong Kong Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Cheapest Michelin stared restaurant in the world
The Michelin guide claim they give their stars solely depending on the quality of the food served in the restaurant and nothing else. Though despite t… read entire review
Hong Kong