A pot of beans AKA How Emma and I became infamous in Nyeri

Kenya Travel Blog

So Emma and I are both very capable people, so it comes as a little bit of a surprise to us that we are completely incompetent third world inhabitants.  Everything here is just so hard.  Cooking has been especially hard for us, as the ingredients do not look familiar, and if they do they are not in the form we usually see them.  An example of this would be beans: they actually do not grow in the can in case you were wondering.  Making beans consists of soaking them for 24 hours, then cooking them for three hours, using probably some other ingredients too, I just don't know.  For this reason when we were told that we could have some already cooked beans we jumped at the chance.  We were told to collect a pot from the fridge, and take them home with us.  We opened the fridge and there were pots of beans (without lids).  So we collected a pot and began to head home.  Not too long after we had started we came across Eunice who asked if we planned to carry the pot the entire way "like that."  We said "yes" briefly considered turning back for a lid, and continued on our way.  When we arrived home John, the caretaker, asked if we had come all the way carrying the pot without a lid.  We said "yes" and he begun to laugh and said that wzungu (white people) are so funny.

A few days later we were at Tumaini hanging out with the children.  Jane, a 10 year old there, said she had seen us before.  She asked if we were the ones who carry a pot of beans with no lid.  We laughed and said that had been us, but everyone had let us know that was not how we should do it.  She then went on with her lecture, telling us that a fly could land in the beans and make us sick, or even worse, someone could come up put their hands in our beans and take some.  We promised her that we would get a lid today and show her before we left.  (Yes, a 10 year-old knows more about there things than we do.)  We then collected our beans, and a lid, and took them to show Jane.  She put her hand on my shoulder looked me right in the eye and said, "Please promise you will do this every time.  Not just today.  Always."  I promised and we began on our journey.

Not too long into our journey a woman greeted us in Kikuyu (the tribal language of this area).  I told her I only speak English, but she continued anyway.  She became more animated and was gesturing and then she pointed at our pot and began laughing.  I translated what she said as "I am glad that you have a lid on your pot this time."

We have had a pretty good laugh about this one ever since it occurred.
We have just returned back from safari.  The experience was wonderful.  We took a matatu (a minivan with 14 seats and sometimes a lot more people) that we had rented privately down to Nairobi.  We met the safari people and headed down the the Masai Mara.  On the very first day we saw a lot.  We saw elephants, giraffes, zebras, lions, water buffalo, impalas, gazelle and even a pride of lions eating a water buffalo they had hunted.  We got to camp out.  There was some concern camping so close to where we had just seen so many dangerous animals, but the experience was great.  The next day we spent all day driving around searching for more animals.  We saw hippos, and crocodiles in the Mara river, and we even got to cross the border into Tanzania, and therefore the Serengeti, no passport stamp though.  :(  The next day we drove up to Lake Nakuru (Flamingo Lake) where we got to see so many flamingos, rhinos, and much more.  It is amazing how close all the animals let you get to them.  At Lake Nakuru we got to stay in  "Luxury Hotel," which was actually quite nice, although many people got bit by a lot of mosquitoes.  I, however, wore bug spray, used my mosquito netting, slept with the sheets over my head, and took my malaria medicine.  Also on Safari we collected 3 new volunteers for Tumaini.  I highly recommend Safari if you ever get the chance to come down here.  Hope you are all well.