Vay-Cay

Kenya Travel Blog

The past few days have been amazing.  We decided to take a vacation, so we headed to Lamu, an island off the coast of Kenya.  The weather was warm and amazing.  I spent many hours laying on the beach and reading.  Also in important news for Kareena and Meher I saw a family of camels.  I also got my first glimpse of stars in the southern hemisphere.  They were gorgeous, and it turns out I have no idea how to find the Southern Cross, despite the fact it is the only southern hemisphere constellation I know the name of.  We had delicious food at all hours of the day.  I also experienced summer rains.  You would see the rain coming as you looked down beach, and then suddenly you would be caught in a downpour, only to be back in the sunshine a few minutes later.

Lamu is a UNESCO World Heritage site.  There are many buildings made of coral, and there are only two cars on the island, needless to say we did not ride in either of them.  Most transportation is done by boat or donkey, but we avoided the later.  Apparently the Prince of Monaco has a house there too, although he did not invite us over.  The town set up is really interesting with narrow alleyways between buildings, and no street names or anything to prevent anyone from getting lost.  The whole vacation was quite a trip, and a far different side of Kenya than we had see so far.  I highly recommend it if you are ever in the area.