Our First Lesson

Kenya Travel Blog

Hakuna Matata.

We arrived here in Kenya a few days ago.  We were supposed to be picked up at the airport by Robert, but upon arrival he was nowhere to be found.  We were able to reach him on his cell and it turned out he was 40 minutes away.  We waited for an hour and a half, and then a woman approaches us looking for Christina and Amber.  Turns out she is helping Robert, because he doesn't want to hold a sign.  We get in the car, and about a minute after leaving the airport it overheats.  We stop and add water, and continue driving another 3 minutes to a gas station, where it promptly overheats again.  At this time we call Claire and Lara, and tell them we don't think we are going to make it to Nyeri at this pace.  They arrange for another driver for us, but ask us to pick up a box of t-shirts and then return to the airport to meet the other driver.  We then proceed to drive all around Nairobi for an hour and a half looking for the elusive t-shirt place, and the car overheats again.  The other driver is waiting for us at the airport, as is Kirk, a guy who lives in Nairobi and will be traveling with us to Nyeri, and they are getting tired of waiting.  Finally while we are stopped and overheated again we ask them to please come rescue us.  They do, and offer us the wonderful Kenyan wisdom of Hakuna Matata.

We then find the t-shirt place within minutes and begin the drive to Nyeri.  The road was bumpy, but we were told to think of it as an African massage, and honestly there was not a lot that could keep me awake after two full days and nights of travel.

Tumaini is so nice.  I think Amy is right, I would like to come home with a baby.  The children are so wonderful.  They have helped us a lot teaching us where to go, what to do, and what to say.  Hopefully I can teach them half as much as they teach me.  Everyone has been so hospitable.  They have fed us, given us a wonderful guest house to live in (called Baraka House), and taken such good care of us.

This weekend we went to the marathon at Mount Kenya.  We got to drive over the Equator to get there, which was pretty exciting.  Many of the children and volunteers from the orphanage were running, and we went to support with about 50 of the children.  Kenyans may know how to run, but we had to teach them the American way of cheering for a marathon.  Yup, we taught them how to run people in, and they loved it.  We even inspired others to join in.  John, the caretaker of Baraka House, says he would like to see me and Emma win a race before we leave.  Emma told him Kenyans are the best runners in the world, and he said and now you are in Kenya, become one of the best.  You can look for more updates in the coming weeks on how that is going.

This morning we went to church at the orphanage church.  They belong to the Presbyterian Church of East Africa.  There was a lot of singing and dancing and a very long sermon.  I have also seen signs for a Baptist church and some Catholic churches in town, and there are supposed to be a lot of Muslims in Kenya too, but Presbyterian is the most common.

I am currently on my first trip to town.  The internet cafe was my first stop, but I will soon be an accomplished shopper.