Flying to New York, Getting into New York

New York Travel Blog

Times Square

I woke very early (3.30am) and cought a mini-cap to Heathrow Airport and boarded a 7.30am flight to Helsinki, Finland for a change of flights on to New York.

Arriving at JFK airport at 4pm I arrived at the transport desk to check in for my AirLink transfer, which they made me wait an hour for the next shuttle. The shuttle then proceeded to go to all of the terminals to pick up people. While the people on the shuttle where lovely, a couple from Texas and a lovely lady from Finland, it took us 4 hour to get to my hotel, which made a very long day.

When I did arrive at my hotel (Portland Square Hotel) a great and well priced hotel on 47th St Between 7th and 8th Avenues. It was perfect location, about 500 metres from Times Square and right in the heart of Broadway. Perfect for everything!! My room was small (possible a broom closet in a former life) but very comfortable, clean, airconditioned and had a TV. I had a shared bathroom, though I not sure that many other rooms shared it with me as I never saw anyone else use it.

As with all new cities I cant wait to get out and explore and New York was no exception. I wondered down the corner to Times Square and was blown away.. I have never seen so much neon signage in my life!!! And the thing that struck me about it was how safe the area felt. There was a huge police presence and so many families around that the atmosphere was great.

Portland Square Hotel