My First day in New York City

New York Travel Blog

I woke this morning to the noises of New York. Cars honking horns, people talking and sirens going off. New York is never quiet and never dull.

I didn’t have any plans for the day and just wanted to take advantage of the fact that I could explore the city at my leisure. I headed out of my hotel armed with my trusty New York City map and a desire to acquaint myself with  a city I have wanted to visit all of my life.

My first stop was Times Square by daylight, Times Square is no less impressive during the day than at night, and is constantly buzzing with lots of people and tones of tourists. There are lots of great shops catering for both tourists and general shoppers around Times Square .

I then headed towards Macy’s. Macy’s is said to be the biggest department store in the world and I believe it to be heaven on earth despite the rudest staff I have ever come across in my life. I have never seen so many “customer service” staff who look like that hate their lives. I am sure that most of them actually believed that a smile would crack their face!! I was, however, delighted to find that Macy’s had a sale on and the exact Guess bag that I had seen at home on sale... half the price it was a home... very happy!! After spending a couple of hours wandering through the store I emerged a very happy girl.

I had made plans with a lady I had met on the shuttle bus into New York the previous day, to have dinner that night so I returned to my hotel to get ready. Pia who was from Finland, had asked if I would accompany her to a restaurant that she had wanted to visit but didn’t want to go alone, so I agreed to go with her. The Restaurant was called “Three of Cups” and was located on the corner of First Avenue and 5th St, which meant that I needed to head down town. I walked the 7 across town blocks to First Avenue and hailed a cab for the first time in my life. I felt so silly standing on the street with my arm in the air waiting for a free cab to stop and pick me up. It is something really foreign for me, Im used to calling a taxi and having it pick you up. But... I did it. Didnt take me very long to get a Cab and i headed down to the restaurant and my first real experience of tipping. Tipping is also something very foreign to me as we don’t tip in Australia and its something that really bugs me. I come from the school of tipping only for exceptional services so when everybody expects a tips I first instinct is how rude it is and I have to remind myself that this is the norm here.

Pia and I had a lovely dinner (made interesting by the language barrier as English is Pia’s second language and she does not get to practice speaking it very often) and wandered the 47 blocks uptown and 7 across back to our respective hotels.

New York