My Day in Washington DC

Washington Travel Blog

The White House

A full day to explore the amazing city of Washington DC and so many landmarks and beautify buildings to be seen I tried to get a ticket on the Hop on Hop off bus but unfortunately it was booked out by 9am (book ahead if you want to go on this) So I decided that I would do the tour myself and headed off by foot to see everything this city has to offer. My first stop was the Whitehouse.. of coarse on my way to the Whitehouse I saw many lovely buildings both private and government buildings. The first thing the really stricks you about Washington is that just when you think you have found the most impressive building in town, you turn the next corner and come across a better one.

The Washington Monument
This constantly happens the whole time you are there. Arriving at most photographed side of the White House (the circle side) it is truly spectacular. I stood in awe of this building. It is a building that I had seen so many times on TV and I could not believe that I was standing in front of it. The other buildings that I made sure I saw that day where the department of treasury, The capital building and towards the end of the day I managed to get back to the Washington Monument for a photo as the sun went down.

I had booked an evening tour of the rest of the sights and boarded the bus at 7pm from the Washington train station which in itself is a fantastic building and worth seeing. The evening bus tour took us to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, Lincoln Memorial , Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial and the World War 2 Memorial (my favourite). All these Memorials where spectacular at night. The amazing thing that you realise when you get to the World War 2 Memorial is the layout of the city. Washington was designed by the same guy who designed Paris, and so the layout is very similar in that all the landmarks are lined up, so when you get to certain points you can look right down and see all the Memorial’s lined up. Very impressive!! After our bus broke down and an alternative bus was provided we returned to the Train station via the White House and the Capital Building which are both even better by night!

Washington