Central Park & Mamma Mia!!

New York Travel Blog

New York weekend markets

Ah, a sleep in today!! It was great to have a sleep in for the first time on the trip. When I did emerge from the hotel I headed up to Central Park, but to my delight I found that 50th Street was closed for about 12 blooks and a huge market had appeared. Great bags and awesome food stalls. So I strolled along taking everything in, and they headed towards Central Park

Central Park is amazing,... such a huge park right in the middle of this awesome city. I can see how New Yorkers need a parkland area like this to escape to or else they would go bonkers in this huge city.  It was great to see everyone enjoying playing baseball in the park and watching the kids excitement at riding on the fantastic Carousel.

Central Park
I also loved seeing the horse drawn carriages and couldn’t get over the amount of people running through the park.

At lunch time I dinned at a deli cafe, which was a very new york experience. I couldn’t get used to the abrupt manner at which service staff deal with customers in these sorts of business. They are constantly screaming “NEXT!!”, “WHO’S NEXT!!”. I pretty sure that I is just the New York accent that makes their screaming sound really harsh and I did find myself wanting to tell them where do go, but I managed to restrain myself. In Australia no customer service person would ever think of screaming at a customers, so that was something different to get used to. I have to say that the food tasted great and certainly made up to any  rudeness by the staff!

During the afternoon I headed to the discount Broadway ticket booth called “TKTS” and lined up for an hour for discount tickets to Mamma Mia (Tip: The discount ticket booth isn’t very cheap and it is a real disruption to your afternoon to have to line up at 3pm for tickets for that evening, so I recommend going to the Tourist Information Centre which is located on the other side of times square because you can buy tickets in advance and they are pretty well priced and much more convenient).

Central Park

After I returned to my hotel with a slice of Pizza (NY pizza slices are the biggest slices I have ever seen in my life and very yummy) for dinner and got ready I headed to the Theatre to see Mamma Mia. It was fantastic. Very funny and entertaining and the performances where great. One of the best shows I have seen.

New York