Kabu Beach and Mount Tapyas

Coron Travel Blog

The view from Kabu Beach

My good friend and I, both living in countries with significant Chinese populations, decided to escape for a few days to go somewhere not celebrating Chinese New Year.  Following her suggestion, we went with the Philippines, and I managed to narrow it down to Coron, a small group of islands at the northern tip of Palawan.  The region promised some of the most beautiful scenery in the Philippines, and some of the best snorkeling and swimming in Asia.  I previously didn't have a great experience with the country, so I was hoping to have my mind changed.

Our first day, we didn't do much other than catch up, since we live in different countries, and get to know other travelers in town.

Sunset 1, Mount Tapyas
 We didn't quite have the energy for a full day of island hopping, so we again took it easy, and followed recommendations we had heard from others and hired a tuk-tuk to take us out to Kabu Beach.

It took about an hour to get there from Coron town, on a very bumpy road.  Once we arrived, we jumped right into the water.  The weather was a bit cloudy, and the scenery wasn't the best.  There was nothing worth complaining about at Kabu Beach, but there wasn't anything notable about it either.  The water was clean, but not sparkling.  The beach was fine, but not amazing.  There was beer and crackers, but no food for sale.  We weren't disappointed, but we weren't wowed either.

We got our tuk-tuk to take us back to town for some food.  After dinner, we again followed someone else's recommendation and walked up Mount Tapyas at sunset.  It's supposed to be the highest point on the island, but don't let that scare you.  It's not that high.  It's a short hike up 720 steps.  If you're doing it in the heat of the day, I'm sure it's brutal.  At sunset, though, it wasn't so bad.  The temperature was lower and the scenery was nice.  When I was up there, I was grateful for the clouds, they made an amazing sunset.

After a day and a half of puttering around and not doing much, we were reading to take on what Coron had to offer.  The next day, we would be doing some island hopping.

cynthiasmiller says:
Kabu and Bali beach were both small and okay. I liked them because they were empty and had a nice view. You're right, the nice beaches are elsewhere.
davejo says:
Yes, i love Coron except that you have to go island hopping to find the good beaches. We circumnavigated the island and found not a single beach, never heard of Kabu beach----maybe next time!
BASAIC says:
Congratulations on being featured today.
Mount Tapyas, right before sunset