Had to get my visa vor PNG

Jayapura Travel Blog

Came by plane from Ambon via Sorong, was a bit worried how to find my already booked accommodation but to my surprise, just coming out of the airport, a delivery car gave me a lift to the place, the Homestay Galpera  in a suburb of Jayapura.

I couldn't get  a visa for Papua New Guinea in Kuala Lumpur so I did try it here and got it for free in 2 days.

Jayapura is the access point for the Baliem Valley (plane only, have been there some years ago) and overland to PNG. To go to Vanimo in PNG there is no public transport and you can't bring any vehicle over the border. Either you charter a car to the border (depending on your haggling skills 300000 to 500000 Rupies) or, only  with little luggage, a Bemo (shared minibus, localy called Taxi) to Koya, the remaining 40 kilometres with a motorcycle taxi to the border and change your money before crossing the border as there is no money changer or ATM before you arrive in Vanimo. After the border are frequent buses to Vanimo.

From the airport to Jayapura is a DAMRI  bus,  I couldn't find out the time table. Or take a Bemo to Expo/Waena then Abepura, then Entrop,  then Jayapura center.

Jayapura Hotels & Accommodations review
Good place to stay
The Homestay Galpera Papua is one of the cheapest places in Jayapura, and one of the best. Owned by a German missionarie, apparently now in Java and … read entire review
Jayapura