Departing Tahoe

Incline Village Travel Blog

Clear Blue Tahoe

While my mom shared a victory over the westbound trip, a good friend now had his fate tied to mine on the first ~½ of my return east.  I had sketched out a return route to be 2716 miles, through seven states (NV, UT, CO, KS, NE, IA, IL).  With a few detours along the way and miscellaneous adders, I added 137 miles, for a final tally of 2853 miles (4591 km).  The same cautionary tales could be said about this odyssey as the previous, so in summary of my last posts – the miles were covered on countless back roads, some were exceptionally lonely and remote, sometimes requiring strategic use of the spare gas cans.  All were scenic however inhospitable they may have been, more than 300mi / 482km of which were dirt or gravel.

Rocky Beaches
  And again, the summer sun was a formidable adversary.  Over ten days of triple-digit heat, steep mountains, scorching desert valleys and oven hot canyons tested all participants.  Pit stops were made as-needed along the way to either fill our bellies, top up the gas or give the workhorse a much needed rest to cool down.  It was by no means glamorous, but true adventures never are.

While I had just arrived at my sister’s house in Tahoe with my mom on the eve of Independence Day from the previous trip, she left almost immediately.  I had a few days in Tahoe to hike, bike and generally enjoy the environs before a brief business trip pulled me away.  But my return to Tahoe was choreographed with that of a good friend from Cancun.  He arrived moments before I did.  My sister and I tried to give Memo a 3-day introduction to Tahoe including a few hikes of Kings Beach’s trails, kayaks out on the water, a few local eateries and a couple music shows.  Unfortunately schedules mandated that we hit the road, so we left knowing there were still many things left undone, leaving the cool mountain air and refreshing lake waters, running headlong into seemingly endless desert-scapes.

HORSCHECK says:
Congrats on your featured blog. Well done.
Posted on: Apr 20, 2017