Heading for the Lewes Ferry

Lewes Travel Blog

Coming into town

This is the beginning of a ten day trip from Maryland to Vermont. I took the long way up, through Lewes Delaware and Cape May New Jersey. I was photographing lighthouses, cemeteries and fall leaves. The first cemetery photographed was in Lewes and we saw the first lighthouses from the ferry.

I was concerned about the hotel I had booked at Booking.com (Virginia Hotel in Cape May) so I sent Booking.com an email asking for a room on the first floor. I could see in the google-view that there were steps up to the porch, and I knew there was no elevator.

Tuesday night I got a call from the hotel. The man on the phone said that the first floor rooms were booked and he thought I would be better off at one of their sister properties. He said to cancel the Booking.

Ferry sign
com reservation so they wouldn't have to pay them for the booking and he would get me a room at the same price at Congress Hall. I think this was a little sneaky, because now Booking.com isn't getting paid. But the Congress Hall room is $100 more than the original booking and I was happy not to pay that.

I had most of my clothes in the red suitcase and I didn't take the rolling computer bag this time - just a shoulder bag

This morning (Weds) I unplugged the modem and Bob un-set the TV that we have set to go on and off each day. I was ready to leave except for putting on my shoes. But I forgot I had taken the lining out of my pink coat so I had to do that.

We got underway about 10:30. Bob was thinking we'd go up 301, but that's the long way so he turned around and we went up 4 through Calvert Co.

Handicapped hang tag for the car
  I had a photo 'assignment' to take pictures of signs, so one of the ones I took was this man in Annapolis who was holding this sign about a computer facility up for on-coming traffic. I thought it was ironic to advertise a hi-tech company in a decidedly low-tech way

Got to the Bay Bridge about noon- toll was $6.00. Lunchtime we stopped at Chick-fil-A on Kent Island. I got a chicken salad sandwich and Bob got a chicken sandwich and a shake. ($10.26)

I took more photos of signs on the way to Lewes. I had heard that Lewes (Founded in 1631) would be a nice place to visit on a day trip. There is a walking tour of the town which visited many interesting We had reservations on the 4:15 Lewes-Cape May Ferry. We got to Lewes about 3, so I thought we had time to go do a couple of cemeteries.

Harbor of Refuge Light
The first one we never did find it. But we went back to Friendship and took about 80 or 90 photos.

Then we went to line up for the ferry as they start lining people up an hour in advance. To make the reservation (and pay) I had to give them a driver's license number and I gave them mine. I didn't know if that meant that I actually had to drive the car. But it didn't. We told them that I would go up the service elevator. I should have had my scooter for this but Bob didn't want to get it out. So they took me up the elevator and then I had to walk onto the ship just like you do on a cruise ship. Bob was therefore first in line to load onto the ferry.

I went up to the bow and stayed there taking photos. We saw the Delaware Breakwater Light and the Harbor of Refuge Light from the ferry. I should have had the telephoto lens, but I took a lot of photos anyway.

HORSCHECK says:
Congrats on your featured blog. Well done.
Posted on: Sep 03, 2017
cotton_foam says:
Wow, blog for Vermont! Vermont is s beautiful state! I'll come back to read your journals! Also, lighthouses and cemeteries are both interesting subjects in photography! ~
Posted on: Feb 01, 2017
From the stairs of the upper deck
From the stairs of the upper deck
Man on the street advertising a co…
Man on the street advertising a c…
Crossing the Bay Bridge
Cars on the ferry
Cars on the ferry
Bob at the rail
Bob at the rail
Aid to navigation on the end of th…
Aid to navigation on the end of t…
Ferry ticket
Ferry ticket
Lewes Sights & Attractions review
Lewes Breakwater Lighthouse
If you get a chance, take a tour of this lighthouse. It is located at the east end of a detached breakwater sheltering Lewes harbor and is accessible … read entire review
Lewes