One and Only Visit to Melbourne Marina

Melbourne Travel Blog

Friends coming to visit in their dinghy

After we visited with friends anchored near the Eau Galle bridge, we felt we'd not make it to Ft. Pierce, so we went to Melbourne Harbor Marina at MM 918.5

I was not to impressed with this place. They require an imprint of a credit card for $30 for their restroom key. The dockmaster we talked to was an idiot who had a sort of semi-hostile jokey manner. They put us in a slip with barely 5 feet of water. He waited until we were halfway in to ask if we'd rather go to another slip. The area smelled of sewage, there was a highway right behind us and a train trestles right behind that. Trains went through at all hours of the day and night - whistling continuously

You can get ice cheaper just up the stairs at the gas station next to the highway. Three bags at the marina is $4.50, and at the gas station 3 bags is $3.45. The price is $1.

Our boat in the Melbourne marina
25/foot, but that includes electricity and cable. We walked up into town, and there is a deli that is open for lunch that is reasonable, and we went to Bella's for dinner which is about a block down.

Be careful crossing the street -the walk sign is only on for about 3 nanoseconds and it is a wide street with 4 or 5 lanes. You have to get across half of it before the walk goes on, or there's no hope.

They did let me use the fax to download e-mail, but I had to balance the computer on the edge of a file drawer.

Every time Bob turned on the depth sounder, we had less water under us in the slip.

The scuba bottle let loose all its air suddenly last night about 9 pm. Made a terrible racket.

December 15 - We got out of the very shallow slip with me at the wheel and Bob ready to fend off, but everything went well. I was afraid that they would have to tow us out through the mud. December 15, 2000

After we left the Melbourne Marina, we were back on the ICW by 8 am

Friends coming to visit in their d…
Friends coming to visit in their …
NASA bridge