On a Mooring

Key Biscayne Travel Blog

Our boat on a mooring

Because the marina in Miami Beach was so expensive, we had to find another place to stay. Our daughter had phoned around, and the marinas were either expensive, or they would not take live-aboards. We didn't want to anchor out and leave the boat for long periods, but we hated the Miami Beach marina. Plus everyone would have to clear out for the boat show

We got a mooring at Rickenbacker and paid for the whole winter (which was cheaper) from the last 10 days of December through the end of March. Our daughter took us to the boat, and we left Miami Beach and motored down towards the big causeway bridge.

We go to pick up the mooring (which had no pendant on it), and I am to steer while Bob tries to catch it with a pole with a snap on the end. I am supposed to steer into the wind. But I can't do that - I do get him up to the mooring, and he catches it.

We get everything organized, and take the RIB into the marina dinghy dock (a gravel beach) and Bob takes the insurance papers up to the marina.

Then we took the dink back, and pulled the motor and ran it out of gas, and stowed them. Then we unfold the portabote. I get in the dink and I see our daughter coming over the causeway in the truck. Bob brings the stuff off the boat, and we row in, disassemble the dink and go to put it in the truck. It sticks out the end.

Since that day, the winds have been 20-25 knots gusting to 30 from the North, and there have been whitecaps in the anchorage. We did go down and look at the boat once, but were chicken to take the dinghy out.

December 27th we finally got back to it. We did some work on the boat, and on New Years Eve, Bob went to bed, but I got up at midnight and was able to watch 4 fireworks displays - Miami, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne and Coconut Grove.

We left Jan 1st and went down to Key West and out to the Bahamas.  We came back to the mooring from Lucaya on February 27th.

Key Biscayne