Hampden neighborhood - Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Baltimore Travel Blog

I liked the sign and the store's diverse product offerings, so I snapped a photo.

Saturday, January 21, 2017
It seemed like everyone in the world was headed to Washington, DC today for the Women's March on Washington, so I decided this was an ideal time to pay a visit to BaltimoreI visited the Hampden neighborhood (pronounced 'Hamden' - the 'p' is silent), which is considered to be Baltimore's hipster area. I saw a fair number of hipsters there, but they didn't seem overly obnoxious or pretentious. Hampden seems to welcome everyone. I saw numerous families and people of all ages and races. The neighborhood is also gay-friendly, as evidenced by the two fellows I saw walking down the street holding hands.
Hampden has a good number of antique shops, several coffee houses, at least one good bakery, and a really good ice cream shop called The Charmery. Delicious smells wafted from the place, and it was packed - in late January. I look forward to visiting the store one day.

Should Tourists Visit Here?: Definitely.
There are a wide variety of things to do and see in Hampden, and you'll be able to get a good sense of Baltimore's character if you visit the neighborhood. I think tourists interested in experiencing Baltimore's culture should bypass the Inner Harbor entirely and visit Hampden instead.

I liked the sign and the stores d…
I liked the sign and the store's …
Baltimore Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nice place with a decent selection
Sweetside is an attractive bakery/cafe/yogurt place that fits well into the Hampden neighborhood. When I entered the store were several people ahead o… read entire review
Baltimore Sights & Attractions review
A book store with great ambiance
This is a conjoined antique store and bookstore, connected by a short corridor. Each store has its own entrance. I entered through the bookstore, and … read entire review
Baltimore