The smoke that thunders

Victoria Falls Travel Blog

First glimpse of falls

Nature is terrifying.  Those are the words that kept rumbling through my head as I meandered through Victoria Falls National Park, following the sound of the pounding water.  I could hear it a mile away.  Seeing the water pour over the edge of the falls at such a rate and hearing the roar of rushing water ignited my imagination.  All of the terrifying, destructive things that moving water can do.  I tried not to think about it, I was supposed to be enjoying myself.  And I was, as long as I didn't think about falling into the rocks and water below.

Victoria Falls is a place I had been dreaming of visiting for over ten years, ever since I heard a teacher mention having visited.  That seems to happen a lot.  It just takes one mention and a location haunts my dreams until I make it happen.

Heavy mist
 In terms of total size and water flow, Victoria Falls is the largest in the world and because of the heavy mist, the surrounding area is the only rainforest that receives constant rainfall.  The mist really felt like rainfall, to the point that I was nervous about getting my camera out.  It did help to minimize the effect of the intense sun.

True to form, I got there early so that I wouldn't have to bother with other people.  It was beautifully empty, which surprised me.  I guess living in Asia has led me to expect constant crowds.  So I had lots of time to meander peacefully, sit and stare at the falls, and plenty of space to take photos with no people in them.  Ahh yes, my first day in Africa and I'm given the luxury of space and quiet.  I'm loving this already.

That evening, I went with a group to an obnoxiously touristy African theme restaurant.  Yes, the decorations were way over the top, it was overpriced (40 USD for the buffet), and participation in entertainment was mandatory.  BUT the food was good, and the free African drum lesson was actually a lot of fun.  A great start to my African adventure, I thought.  I was impressed and couldn't wait for what else my trip had in store!

hayley_phoon says:
Congratulations on your today featured!
cimtech says:
Interesting reading your blog !
gillybob says:
Nice blog - one day I hope to visit here. Love the heavy mist photo.
My first rainbow!