Year Finale/Year Beginning: Preperations

Los Angeles Travel Blog

It has definately been an interesting year of changes for me. Some frustrating situations and others not so much. To think that at the beginning of 2016, I was about to give up on a lot of things but who would have figured I would have made such progress in such a short amount of time. I have a new easy job that I love due to its travel privelages and extremely flexible work schedule. I live in a nice peaceful neighborhood ten minutes from my job and the city and location is very nice. I was the type to where I used to hate hearing how good other people had it. That they were able to enjoy their lives and I couldn't. I was always frustrated, depressed or worried about something, while others were frolicking through life. If I were still in the same position as a I was a few years ago and the happy things that I'm saying now were being said by someone else, I would have hated hearing it especially when they ask about myself and I know I only have negative things to say.

Now however, after pushing and pushing, I finally got the breakthrough, the huge breakthrough that I needed to move forward. As silly as this sounds, I think of a mole that's slowly digging through the rough dirt and runs into a rock. Then either digging through it or around it, he digs further and the dirt is now soft and easy to get through. Even though I am slowly improving my life, I still have to be mentally prepared for the unexpected setbacks that can cause people to give in. I still can't be too relaxed seeing as I still have a lot left to do before I can breathe a little easier.

After my test run back in July, I have simply been going to work day in and day out. Before I knew it my six month probationary period was almost over. With the holidays coming up, I started to contemplate what I wanted to do for Christmas and New Years. New Years is a Holiday I never really bothered celebrating but with the new job and changing life, I figured I should celebrate it. Before I could do that, I still had to wait to get my new schedule and pass my test.

When the time for the test came, I was very nervous despite how simplistic it is. I was told that I passed it with flying colors. With that out of the way, I now had the ability to pick up overtime and do shift changes with other employees, not to mention I knew my new upcoming schedule. I bought a schedule book to immediately start getting everything planned out. My goal was to pick up as many hours as I could in December, celebrate the holidays, January would be a relaxtion month (my vacaction for this year is in January) then attempt to do 400 hours (working seven days a week) in a month for the month of February. December was a sort of practice run for February. Unfortunately due to scheduling, the most I can do is 320 hours in a month working. I had already picked up nearly 100 extra hours for the two weeks left in December.

I decided that for New Years, that I wanted to go to New York again and see the ball drop. I thought about my pen pal and wanted to send her a small gift for Christmas. However, to ship it out and for it to make it on or a few days after Christmas would cost $80. I kept trying to find out if we had shipping discounts but I couldn't find anything. I thought that maybe I could just take a day off and fly out there and give it to her personally. There were too many risks of not being able to get on a plane back home seeing as how Narita and Haneda only have one flight a day to and from LAX and they are usually full. Plus it was the holidays and I was already covering for someone else.

I kept going back and forth about not only that but New York as well. Even though I had found some decently priced places to stay, I didn't want to spend any of the extra money that I'd just worked so hard to earn. This is a major problem that I have always had but of course it is warranted. Sometimes I don't want to spend anything, mainly because I can't afford to and that I have a lot to take care of. That's what always puts me in an "All work and no play" mentality.

After doing research and getting opinions about New York's New Year's celebration, I decided that it's severly overrated and I didn't want to stand in one spot for 12 hours. I knew of course that it would be packed but I had no idea the reality of it all. I understand that for novelty's sake it's a good reason to go but other than that, I didn't feel any other reasons to go. I kept going back and forth about it, "should I spend the money?", "Should I bother going at all?". Then I realized something. If I say no to this, I will say no to every other travel opportunity for this coming year which defeats the entire purpose and reasonings for me being with this company. Like anything else, developing a habit takes time and repetition. So I would have to do this to get the habit of travel in my system. My financialy situation is going to take time to heal. I was trying to get it all done in one go with all of these hours. I will have plenty of opportunities to work all of those hours in February and the other months to come. I HAD the money and could afford to go to these places. I wasn't going there to spend a lot of money but just to explore spend a little.

Finally I decided. No more thinking, I didn't book any hotel reservations, had no idea what to do or where to go but I decided That I would start with the place that inspired me to travel in the first place. Japan.

DrewJ says:
I'm typing up the next one now. It should be done soon :D
Posted on: Jan 03, 2017
cotton_foam says:
So you did go right to NYC?!
Posted on: Jan 03, 2017