Back to DC

Washington Travel Blog

Harrington Hotel

It has been several years sine I last visited Washington, DC, so when I found a confrence on "Smarter Cities," looking at the increasing role of technology in government, I knew I had to go. What made it especially attractive to me though, was the recent opening of the new Smithsonian Museum of African-American History, Culture, and Art.

I had not expected any difficulty in getting tickets to the museum, so was surprised to find there was a strong demand for tickets. I was lucky to snag tickets for Thursday afternoon, so I left Baton Rouge this morning headed for the conference and the museum.

I had a long lay-over in Charlotte. I used the time for lunch at Big Daddy's Burger Bar -- the burger was tasty.

I finally arrived at Reagan National and took the Metro into DC. I was disappointed that it was raining when I arrived in Washington, but luckily my hotel, the Harrington, was just a little more than a block away from the Metro station at  Federal Triangle. I had chosen the Harrington because it is an historic hotel, dating back to 1914. The lobby had an exhibit on the history of the hotel over the past century, which was nice.

It was already dark, so I did not have time to do any touristy things . . . plus I was beginning to feel hungry. It was still raining, though only gently, so I decided to walk a couple of blocks and see what I could find for dinner. I hit on a Thai place, Ha'ad Thai, a couple of blocks north of the hotel. The food was delicious.

After dinner, I headed back to the hotel and a night's rest in preparation for the conference tomorrow . . . and hopefully some sightseeing.

simsing says:
Congrats on the feature!
Posted on: Jan 08, 2017
Washington Hotels & Accommodations review
If you are not looking for a fancy hotel, but basic lodging in a great location, you cannot do better than the Harrington. Located just off Pennsylvan… read entire review