Who belongs in LA?

Redondo Beach Travel Blog

I flew back into LAX on Thursday, the 16.  I had a good month at home, travelling up and down the east coast visiting friends and family.  I got to go to the Jersey shore, hiking, to a Muse concert, visit my brother at Virginia Tech, go to a bridal shower in CT, a Galaxy game in Boston, and many dinners with friends.  Last year I felt like my summer was ripped away from me.  I had to teach summer school for free and take all these teacher classes in August, making me leave Long Beach Island early and miss half the time.  It was a big bummer.  A big big bummer.  I cursed several times.
    So far, this year has been much better.  No summer school for me, just dog-sitting and relaxing.  And that month on the east coast.  Always a goodie.  Of course I was a little apprehensive to come back here.  If you are not familiar with LA, it never quite feels like home.  I still don't feel like I belong here.  I don't feel like I can act the same here as I do back east.  But I am trying.  My roommates are in Europe on their honeymoon and won't return till the 27.  So it is just me and my one roommate's sister.
    I like that school hasn't officially started yet and I can still sleep in.  I wander into my classroom at 2pm and stay till 235 or so.  Then I come back home to relax, of course.  I know what you're thinking.  Allison, you work too much.  You need to calm down and have a shot of something.  But you know it's all for the kids.
    So anyway, I think I started writing this because I am feeling lonely, yet again, in LA.  It's a very tough place to live.  And it's hard to do things by yourself, even if you want to.  I'm trying to go out as much as I can, whenever someone asks.  I think part of the reason why I have such a problem meeting people is that I'm a transplant.  I'm not from California.  My roommate last year is from Los Angeles and I get to meet her friends.  And my roommate now is from Palmdale, so she knows a bunch of people.  Lots of the teachers at school are from the LA area.  Actually, now that I think of it... I am the only teacher working right now that is not from California.  I lived in NJ till I graduated high school.  Then I moved to Connecticut and made all new friends at UConn.  That's what you're supposed to do.  Then I studied abroad in France and made all new friends there.  You're supposed to do that too.  That was tough leaving everyone since we were scattered throughout the US, Europe, and South America.  When I graduated from college I spent the summer in NJ, then packed up and moved to Los Angeles to do AmeriCorps.  Again, I met new people in AmeriCorps.  When my roommates from that moved away at the end of the year I had to find new ones since I was staying in the area.  I lived with my girls that teach in the same high school.  Obviously they are a little closer because they've known each other for years. Understandable.  I love to bounce around so I don't know how much longer I will be here.  But it does get annoying having to make all new friends all over again.  I mean, it gets harder and harder.  As you get older you're not in that many situations where you make new friends.  Plus you have to buy new shit.  I could save a lot of money if I stay in one place, but I don't think that's happening any time soon.
    Well on this lovely Tuesday night I am staying in, watching A Cinderella Story on ABC Family.  Don't judge.  I don't want to say misery loves company because I'm not miserable.  Not at all.  I am a happy person. But it does help me to hear other people are feeling the same way.  And I know that does happen in LA. I wonder if Victoria Beckham is lonely.  What do you do when you feel lonely in LA?  Many times I just put on a funny movie, or Arrested Development, Scrubs, The Office, all that stuff.  I've already got season 1 disc 2 of Arrested Development in the player.  Anyone else have suggestions??  Thanks!
Hbsurftrvler says:
Hey if you ever want to hang out let me know???
Posted on: Nov 23, 2007
sybil says:
hey (almost) neighbor (i live in the westside). it does take a while to meet new people. i was just complaining to some buddies that it is hard to meet new friends because it seems like everyone is already settled in with their group. not that i don't like my friends, it wold just be cool to meet new ones, you know? so i understand what you mean....
Posted on: Aug 22, 2007