Bangladesh briefing.

Gatwick Airport Travel Blog

I have has a visit planned for Bangladesh now for some years, however I wanted my trip to coincide with a cricket test match involving England who tour there very infrequently. The last time was in 2008 so I have been waiting some time. Other countries do play there but very recently Australia and New Zealand cancelled tours there citing security issues, wussies ! So when England announced that they were to tour I jumped at the chance to go.

I got in touch with Nijhoom Travel with whom I have corresponded with before and they had a reasonably priced itinerary covering what I wanted to do, the reasons I chose a tour I will mention later. Anyway even better the owner wanted to place an advert in "The Cricketer" magazine a UK publication offering travelling fans tour packages. Nijhoom normally takes payment in USD but we came to an arrangement that I would pay the magazine in £ and we would settle any difference when I arrived. "I will send you their banking details tomorrow" I was told.

The following day Islamic militants stormed a Dhaka restaurant and murdered 22 foreigners. The bank details never arrived and I subsequently learned that the advert in "The Cricketer" was not placed. My trip looked doomed, however a few weeks passed and England had still not cancelled their planned visit and sent out security advisors to assess the security situation, they decided that the tour was still good to go ahead. The England players were given the option to tour or not, 2 declined. I got back in touch to a surprised Nijhoom tours who thought that no one would go. A group of England supporters known as "The Barmy Army" had also decided not to operate tours there.

After a short discussion my tour could go ahead with no price difference and I learned later that two others were also joining me too. Firstly I needed was a visa which was a fairly painless process at the Bangladeshi embassy in London only to learn that I could have got one on arrival at the airport and cheaper. Trouble is I was once denied boarding on a flight to Lebanon because the airline did not have the Lebanese "visa on arrival policy" on their system. I've never trusted VOA's since. All that was left was to book a flight and Turkish Airlines came up with a good fare via Istanbul. I also checked how much a return flight from Istanbul to Dhaka was and it cost more than the fare from London on the same aircraft.

I'll never understand airline pricing !

simsing says:
Congrats on the feature! It's a nice read!
Posted on: Jan 07, 2017