You can take me out of Manhattan, but you can't take me out of my shoes.

Toronto Travel Blog

This cake was so good, that I had two pieces of it! (Not on the same day, of course). Sweet Tooth Bakery (508 Danforth Ave. in Greektown)

The title of this blog is from the television show Sex and the City...I can definitely relate, as it's how I feel whenever I leave Manhattan! Just one of my love/hate quirks of living here!
Miranda: I had to walk all the way from the subway in these heels. My feet are killing me.
Steve: Why didn't you just carry them and wear sneakers like everyone else?
Miranda: Stop. You can take me out of Manhattan, but you can't take me out of my shoes.

I was up late packing and agonizing over what shoes to bring...yes, I admit it and I am not ashamed.  I wanted to bring 5 pairs, but after regaining my sanity, I decided to only take 3 pairs.   I finished packing at  2:30am.  I had to leave my apartment at 6am.  Let me tell you -- there's nothing like waiting until the last minute to pack!  It's not procrastination, I like to think of it as more of an adrenaline rush!!!

Everyone on my flight was headed to the Toronto International Film Festival, and  being pretentious and self-important (very "clean up in aisle 3, a bunch of names just dropped").   The guy at Canadian customs apparently didn't approve of young females traveling by themselves (example: me), so he was a little suspicious/weary and he asked me so many questions and details about my trip and why I was traveling by myself.  After 5 minutes of interrogating me and examining every page of my passport, he decided I wasn't a threat to Canadian security and let me through.  I met up with my friend Ngoc, who had arrived on a different flight.  Of course, as soon as we got into the city, we got lost (BIG surprise -- story of my life!).  Getting lost wearing heels and a backpack -- even more fun.

We ate a late lunch in Greektown...I forget the name of the place (I think it was something cheesy like "Acropolis" or "Parthenon"), but they had a fantastic Greek salad with grilled octupus.  It was almost like I was back in Santorini.  Except that the view of the gorgeous blue Aegean Sea was replaced by a busy Toronto street.  Haha.  We were still hungry so we stopped in Sweet Tooth, a little bakery nearby.  I had the most delicious piece of cake there.  I went back there the next day because it was so good!  They also sell tarts, cookies, brownies, squares, pies, etc...good stuff.  Ngoc and I hadn't really hung out since she came back from Vietnam (she was there for a month) so it was nice to just girl talk and start planning for next summer's backpacking adventure in Asia.  I can't wait for that trip, especially Thailand!

We saw one of the films at the Film Festival (Then She Found Me), starring Helen Hunt (she also directed), Bette Midler, Matthew Broderick, and Colin Firth (sigh).

We ended our night in Yorkville at some Italian restaurant.   Again, I can't remember the name...sorry...I blame the wine, the fact that I didn't eat much, and that I was running on 3 hours of sleep.   Not a good combination!  I felt like I was wasted, even though I totally wasn't.  I needed sleep!  And a massage.
Most random part of the night: we found a place that sold Walker's Crisps, direct from London!  And yes, I bought some.

This cake was so good, that I had …
This cake was so good, that I had…
photo by: yasuyo