Angels Landing and Emerald Pools

Zion National Park Travel Blog

Zion National Park charmed me from the very first second. Even at the campground the huge rocks tower above you and if you can wake up with a view like that at half past six in the morning, you cannot not be impressed.

We will be spending two and a half days in Zion and we decide to mainly stick to the most famous trails. As such, today we make our way to Angels Landing. When we get to the parkground around nine o'clock, it immediately becomes clear that we are on the late side. It takes a bit of time before we find a parking spot and the line for the shuttle buses is huge. It takes an hour before we can get on one to take us to the beginning of the trail. Of course, we were a bit unlucky to catch the Labour Day Weekend, which made the place more crowded than usual, but I would still advise anybody to be here closer to eight o'clock than nine to prevent having to wait this long.

Either way, Angels Landing is definitely worth waiting a bit longer. The first part of the trail is slightly steep but if you take your time, I am sure anyone can do it. The road to Scout Lookout is not too challenging as there is a clear trail and you can count on quite even footing all the way up there. You really walk alongside the huge rocks so it is a really impressive walk and the view at Scout Lookout is definitely worth the effort.

The part from Scout Lookout to Angels Landing is something completely different. This is definitely not for everybody, although today a lot of people are willing to give it a try. If you are not comfortable with narrow paths that can barely be recognised for a trail, steep drops on either side and the need to hold onto chains here and there, this is probably not for you.

View from Angels Landing
The path is really narrow and people walk on it in two ways because the way there is the same one as the way back. At times, it feels more like rock climbing than actually walking. It is different, but I like it and enjoy it. If you're up for this thing, definitely go for it, because the view at Angels Landing is simply stunning.

If you do not feel up for the last part, don't hesitate to still do the trail but stop at Scout Lookout. As I said, the view there is pretty incredible too and definitely worth the effort.

Once we have gone all the way down again, we decide to go for another short walk at Emerald Pools, a waterfall. The first part of the trail is easy, there is virtually no climbing and the path is very easily accessible. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of rain lately and Emerald Pools is virtually dry. There is only a little bit of water falling down from the rock, slightly disappointing, although I am sure it is very impressive if the waterfall comes down in full. I would advise you to check beforehand. Luckily, the trail isn't too hard so we did not waste a lot of effort to see this.

HORSCHECK says:
Congrats on your featured travel blog. Well done. Greetings from Germany.
Posted on: Jun 15, 2017