My first impressions of Mombasa and first week

Mombasa Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 3 › view all entries
We arrived at the airport to a sunny Kenya and drove to our host family. Its so weird to finally be here after i've been waiting months for it to come. Our family are all lovely and Diana the daughter took us to the beach which is a 2minute walk from our house!! The beach is beautiful, white sands, blue sea and all the beach boys wlaking alon with crates of eggs and stuff to sell. Spent the rest of the day reading Harry Potter so Pippa could have it before Diana borrowed it.

Our first few days have been wonderful. Had an induction day today where we looked around Mombasa town situated on the island then we took a trip to Fort Jesus and the Old town where we experienced the African humour and got a glimpse of what it was like when everyone first settled here.

I have begun settling into my new way of life out here in Mombasa and am loving every minute of it. The Matatus have become a normal adventure with the seats falling off and the boot swinging open everytime we hit a pot hole, but it is all good fun and i have even begun to fit in with the local culture of hitting the roof as hard as you can when you want to stop. Although the conductors still think its funny to overcharge us because we are muzungus!!!

The orphanage where i am working is amazing and all the kids are adorable running up to you when you arrive with big smiles and jumping on you so you cannot walk. Although the mornings consist of hard work, washing for 2hours and cleaning the house the afternoons playing with the kids are wondeful. I've already fallen in love with two of the kids; Mercy and Prince. They are both adorable and the youngest in the house. Mercy was a jail baby and her mother used to hit her and steal the food that the wardens gave her for Mercy so when she came in just 3months ago she was close to death and nearly didn't survive. Prince was of similar background as he was badly mistreated and abandoned by his mother. The social workers found him in a dustbin and soon took care of him luckily. He lives up to his name within the house and really does rule over everyone, won't share his toys and gets what he wants but he's just to cute not to love him.

On Thursday we went back to town with Laura, one of the volunteers who we met on the plane and are working with, so that we could meet the other volunteers with our co-ordinator Jeri and have a couple of drinks before heading to have pizza. We finally met Tam, Ina and Steve and have all decided to go down to Diani this weekend. It was lovely to meet even more people and they all seemed lovely. All three of them are working in Portresse, one of the local hospitals which sounds really interesting and i'm going to see of i have any free time to go and visist them there.

We spent the weekend in Diani on the beach which is unbelievable; a real paradise with white beaches and the palm trees to go with it. We sat in one of Africa's best kept secrets, a little bar named Forty Theives where we had sundowners whilst listening to the waves crashing up against the sand, which came into the bar. Saturday afternoon was spent watching the rugby tournament which Adam and Ben had organised as part of their placement. A massive fight broke out and I've never seen anyone run as fast as Adam did. Spent the evening at Forty Theives again and made Team Sunrise so sat up for the sun to rise. Whilst we lay on the beach in the dark looking up at the sky we saw a load of shooting stars fly over, then waited until the sun rose before we headed back to the campsite to get a couple of hours sleep. Spent Sunday on the beach again playing in the sea, getting our bags washed away by the waves, having sand fights and playing rugby in the sea.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
143 km (89 miles) traveled
Sponsored Links
photo by: easyjobrob