Greenland adventure begins

Ilulissat Travel Blog

Ilulissat

My flight to Ilulissat Greenland was from Romania and Copenhagen where I met up with Martin and Katrine and they kept me busy for a day with some walking around the neighbourhood.

At the Copenhagen airport on my departure to Greenland I had 1.5 hours before departure which I thought was a generous amount of time to get through security. I had no check in luggage so I should have had a lot of spare time. Unfortunately the queue through security was extremely long and it took me over 1 hour to get processed. I got to the boarding gate with only 15 mins to spare.  This is not the first time I have been that close and it did not worry me too much. On the flight Tasha introduced herself to me. Tasha and Magalay were our travel companions in Greenland but I had never met them before and I did not know that they were on the same flight.

The local fish shop

When we arrive at Ilulissat airport I was supposed to be collected by van from our apartment called Icecap Apartments. I saw I guy waiting from Icecap Hotel and thought he could be the driver so I went up to him and mentioned my name. But he had a blank look and appeared not very helpful. After another 15 mins we decided to share a taxi into the town. I went to Tasha's apartment and walked back to the hotel from there. It was just over 1km back to the hotel (I thought). When I got to the hotel they said I was at the wrong place and that the booking had been cancelled. I was looking at an old email .. I eventually found the correct place to check in.

When I arrived at the correct hotel the receptionist said that they were looking for me and thought I was lost as they expected me at the airport.

Ilulissat
The Icecap Hotel and the Icecap Apartments are the same company which was unknown to us. When I told them I had approached the driver at the airport for The Icecap Hotel and mentioned my name but got no reaction, they said that the driver would not know my name which seems unusual? They were pleased to see that I had arrived as they thought that they had lost me ..lol.

Hali was sitting on the computer and they did not want to tell her that they thought I was lost as they already knew about Hali loosing her wallet and did not want to tell her that I was lost as well ..lol.  Hali had left her wallet on the plane and was busy cancelling credit cards and arranging for new ones. When I arrived several hours later she had completed all her organising and so could now relax a little and go outside and enjoy the view.

Ilulissat Harbour
The receptionist told us that the icebergs outside was an unusual occurrence that only happens a few times per year. So we rush outside onto the hotel balcony and madly took lots of photos.  This was indeed a magnificent view and one to remember, it was a sunny day which made for some great photos. Hali was slowing recovering from her ordeal ... After 30 minutes of enjoying the view the driver was ready to take us back into town to the Icecap Apartments. We got settled in then went for a walk to explore the town. I suggested we go for a walk back to where Tasha was staying so we went off exploring.

The first couple of days were very sunny and not all that cold. That was great for all the photos of the icebergs that we wanted to take. We had booked an evening cruise on a boat but that had to be cancelled as the boat could not leave the harbour due to the icebergs.

On the way to Eqi Glacier
For some reason the girls had booked and paid for an expensive guided walk. The walk was about 2kms and took us down to the bay. We did the same walk only longer the next day for free ... I was not very impressed at paying for someone to take me for a walk that was one of the suggested walks in the area.

After a couple of days exploring Ilulissat we were on our way to Eqi Glacier, about a 5 hour boat ride into the fiord. The normal boat was full so we were upgraded to the faster 3 hr boat which departed at 9am rather than the 6am departure for the slower boat. Both boats arrived at the lodge at 1pm after having lunch at the base of the glacier. The glacier was making lots of noises as pieces constantly broke off from the glacier face. The day before a 0.

On the way to Eqi Glacier
5km piece had broken off the face and had caused a large tsunami and broke the boat mooring at Eqi. The slow boat was full because extra staff members we aboard to repair the jetty.

This is a constantly changing environment and full of many dangers. This is an isolated area so visitors are reminded to take special care. I went on the 8hr walk to the ice cap, it was quite a difficult walk with very uneven ground. The weather was good when I went on my walk but it could be unpleasant in bad weather. I got to the top but did not go onto the ice cap as I would have had to cross a river and as I was on my own I thought that might be too risky.  Both Tasha and myself ended up with twisted ankles in Greenland. Lucky mine was only on the last night in Illussat so did not prevent me from going on any walks.

On the way to Eqi Glacier

Eqi was well equipped and had hot showers and a restaurant. We spent 2 nights at Eqi but if you had limited time then 1 night would have been enough. We returned on the slow boat to Illussat which took 5 hours. We spent our last night in Greenland in Illussat and were due to fly early morning to Copenhagen. Unfortunately the weather was bad in Nuuk and that caused our flight to be delayed by 12 hrs. But delayed flights are common in Greenland and you should always allow and extra day for delays.

We arrived in Copenhagen in the morning by Martin who then took us back to his home where Katrine had breakfast waiting for us. After breakfast Martin and Katrine took us on a guided tour of Copenhagen, both walking and using the hired city bikes.

Stopping for a couple of minutes
This was an excellent way of seeing the city. In the evening before our departure to Gdansk we had a meal in a harbor side group of restaurants. We eventually made our way to the airport and onto our next adventure in Poland...

The 90 day Schengen Countries Visa Limit had given me a lot of grief for the year. Greenland is still in the EU and there is no passport check leaving from Copenhagen which worried me a bit as there was no record of me leaving the Schengen countries and I was on my limit of 90 days excluding Greenland. My final departure after my Greenland adventure was out of Lithuania and I was happy when I was finally leaving the Schengen countries on my way back "home"

lauro says:
wow!
Posted on: Apr 19, 2017
TB_Weet says:
Epic journey indeed! Congrats! :-)
Posted on: Mar 12, 2017
halilee says:
Congrats! First page and you already have me in tears. Which isn't a surprise since you are sitting beside me lol
Posted on: Mar 12, 2017
Cutting up whale meat
Cutting up whale meat
Puppies in Ilulissat
Puppies in Ilulissat
Huskys blending into hill side
Husky's blending into hill side
Disko Bay
Disko Bay
Huskys
Husky's
Huskys
Husky's
Katrine, Hali and Martin
Katrine, Hali and Martin
Ever get the feeling that someone …
Ever get the feeling that someone…
Nyhavn