Galway City, here we come!!

Galway Travel Blog

We went through Ennis on our way to Galway

Leaving Newmarket-on-Fergus, we headed north on the N18, which took us through Ennis on our way to Galway City. It was a wonderful drive, but I have to be honest, I don't remember much as I was just trying to take the landscape all in! I think what I remember most is all of the beautiful bright colors on the buildings!

As we neared Galway we grew nervous, as up to this point we were just winging it and really didn't know how to get where we were supposed to be. We had no real directions and the maps we had weren't as detailed as we would have liked! I have since learned from this trip to get detailed directions to our accomodations and more detailed maps of destinations.

"Failte Claddagh" Welcome Claddagh.

After finally finding our hotel in Galway (Brennen's Yard) and parking the car the real fun began! We checked in, left our bags and began to explore!

Galway is a wonderful place with much to offer the eager tourist. It's not overwhelming, easy to navigate and is loads of fun! We got a map of the city from the hotel and proceeded to check off almost every site on the list. First was the Spanish Arch, built in 1584 to protect the quays where Spanish ships unloaded cargo. Our second site the Cathedral of Our Lady assumed into Heaven and St. Nicholas. It's a beautiful cathedral with a magnificent dome located beside the Salmon Weir Bridge. Our third destination was the district of Claddagh, home of the famous Claddagh ring. It was once an Irish-speaking fishing village outside the walls of the old town.

The Spanish Arch.
We walked along the Claddagh Quay to Salthill, a seaside resort town 2 miles west of Galway. The walk didn't seem like it was that long so the fresh bay breeze must have relaxed us.

We turned around and walked back to Galway City, bringing us to our next destination: Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas. It's a beautiful little church, with a lot of history. The guide that we picked up states that Christopher Columbus almost certainly worshipped here in 1477.

After leaving St. Nicholas we walked to Eyre Square to check out Kennedy Park, Browne's Doorway and the Quincentennial Fountain, put there in 1984 to mark the 500th anniversary of the granting of a charter to the city by King Richard in 1484. A quick trip to an internet cafe, the tourist office and some shops we went back to our hotel to rest before heading out for dinner at Nimmo's (see review). That rounded out our first day in Galway!

We went through Ennis on our way t…
We went through Ennis on our way …
Failte Claddagh Welcome Claddagh.
"Failte Claddagh" Welcome Claddagh.
The Spanish Arch.
Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas.
Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas.
Brownes Doorway, Eyre Square.
Browne's Doorway, Eyre Square.
Galway Hotels & Accommodations review
This hotel was comfortable, clean and in a great central location in downtown Galway. We were able to walk everywhere in Galway City. I would stay the… read entire review
Galway Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nimmo's was by far my favorite place that I ate at while in Ireland, in fact my friend and I ate here two nights in a row because we loved it so much,… read entire review
photo by: AleksandraEa