Things I'll miss about Seattle

Seattle Travel Blog

Our friends. I was really lucky to move into a lab filled with such genuinely nice people, bound by shared adversity. Luke's dark and intelligent cynicism, Shyla's sunnyness, Jeong's humorous quirks and witty analogies, Lifan's stubbornness and insistence on doing the right thing, Jared's willingness to contemplate and debate issues (even if invariably from the dark side), Jenny's stoic happiness and wry smiles, Lianne's slightly confused goodness, Ye's very confused good nature, Steve and Rachel's energetic beans (and legendary biceps), Yuri both surly and boomingly happy, Katherine both helpful and practical. It would be hard to imagine a group of people more diverse in personality in every way except one - they have made Seattle a pleasure for me.

Our apartment. Lydia and I have been so lucky to be able to share good times in our apartment. It is tiny and ugly, nothing really works and we never bothered to fill it with stuff, but it has the most amazing view we'll ever share in our lives. To be able to look out each day over Seattle, to see the horizon, watch the sailboat race every Tuesday night on Lake Union, to see the pure white icing covering Seattle on those rare snow days, to see Mt Rainier when she is awake and bathed in pink in the evening, to watch the colours reflected from the downtown skyscrapers change with the light at sunset, to see the very tip of the Space Needle peeking out from behind Queen Anne. We have been between Wallingford with Tutta Bella and all our other favourite restaurants, and Fremont with its quirks and events, and close enough to University to make transit a quick bus trip or a decent walk.

The Burke-Gilman trail. I doubt I'll ever again have such a perfect way to get from home to work. Fifteen minutes on my bike, a level track on the banks of Lake Union. It is so wonderful to be able to turn a chore into a twice-daily pleasure. To be unbound by timetables or parking, to feel the wind in my hair as I fly down Stone Way. Metro or train, our next city will not have a handy dedicated and scenic path running from home to work like Seattle does.

Working across the hallway from Lydia. Being able to be so close to her during the day, able to nip across the hallway every hour or so makes the world of difference to me. I enjoy being able to have lunch with her and going home with her in the evening.

Adrian_Liston says:
It'll be exciting :)
Posted on: Sep 15, 2008
shirlan says:
All sounds so comfortable and cosy! and the next adventure is about to begin.
Posted on: Sep 15, 2008