Fremont Solstice Parade

Seattle Travel Blog

Today we had great fun at the Fremont Solstice Parade, the largest clothing optional parade in the world.

The parade started with the body-painted cyclists. It was actually a fantastic display, some had obviously been planning their costumes for months (others, I think, just took off there clothes on the day). My favourites were the "Where's Wally" team and the dragon tandom bike, but there were many fantastic displays.

Plenty of floats came afterwards, the leather boys BBQ, Bush and co. war criminals, Egyptian pyramid builders, Ents, corporate monsters of greed, recyclers, solstice hugs, and plenty more. It was easily the best parade that I have ever seen, even better because it is organised by the community.

Of course there were a few wackos at the parade with signs cursing us all, yelling into bullhorns that we were going to hell. I'm not sure exactly where in the Bible it says "God hates Parades", so we'll just have to consider these people brainwashed into hating their own body and sexuality, and being spiteful that others still have the capacity to enjoy themselves. Still, it takes an extra something special to take up a bullhorn and yell "you are going to be set on fire for eternity" at the float of five year-old girls on unicycles wearing fairy costumes. At least we live in a city liberal enough that everyone deliberately started cheering whenever he raised the bullhorn, to drown him out.

An enormous street fair afterwards, with tens of thousands of people, and a BBQ with friends. A day well spent.

ChrisMcDevitt says:
I was on that corner in January. There weren't any bodypainted chicks, just hippies.
Posted on: Aug 04, 2008