Mombasa Holiday and Safari. Hotel and beaches.

Mombasa Travel Blog

Shelly beach hotel

Whilst patrolling in the Gulf each ship gets a month off and gets to go away somewhere nice and take a good break. We were able to get to Mombasa in a week, then two weeks off and then a week sailing back up to the Gulf.

During this break it was possible to fly wifes and girlfriends out to join us.  It was a great opportunity as back then it was still considered a luxury holiday and well out of reach of my budget at the time.

I stayed in the shelly Beach hotel which was fantastic.  I went on a short safari to the Tsavo west national park.  Also up the coast to Malindi, which is a marine national park where we were able to snorkal on the reef and go out on glass bottom boats.

I have to mention that during this holiday I managed to go down with severe food poisoning. Why me??  This resulted in a not too pleasant trip to the local hospital.  Thankfully I had a Navy doctor with me otherwise I dont like to think what would have happened.  Well, I managed to pull through and enjoy the end of the holiday.

Just one more thing... No laughing at the shorts or speedo trunks. It was the 80's !!! Thats my excuse anyway. :-)

Shelly beach