Relax. Take some photos.

Arrowtown Travel Blog

Buckingham Street

The wife and I needed some time together away and I wanted to shout myself a birthday present so I booked a short stay in Arrowtown with our accommodation being the Settlers Cottage Motel. We had no plans for any particular activities, except that I wanted to take some photos and was hoping there would be some snow about the town. We had actually been through Arrowtown two years earlier with the kids, and it was summer, so an altogher different time. This time around was just meant to be relaxing, eating, sleeping-in and walking leisurely, which is mostly what we did. Arrowtown is quite historic. The main street of the odl town is Buckingham Street. This is where most of the tourists visit.

Chinese Settlement
There are great places to eat in Arrowtown and I made a point of talking my wife to a different eatery each night for a dinner. I had a terrific seafood chowder at The Postmasters, tasty enchiladas at Agave, and other great meals at The New Orleans Hotel, The Stables and The Fork & Tap. If you like chocolate, you can't go past Patagonia's truffles and crepes. There are more to choose from of course. No shortage of great eateries in Arrowtown. If you like to eat and watch a movie at the same time, then you have to go to Dorothy Brown's Cinemas. Only seating around 20 patrons in each of the two cinemas, the seats are luxurious and the wine, cheese, olives and crackers very tasty. There's a very comfortable foyer to wait in and you can browse books they have for sale. I know I've already mentioned food places, but make sure you visit the old lolly shop for some sugary treats too.
River Walk
Of course there's great milkshakes and pastries to be found in the main street also.

If after all that eating you need to work off some calories, then feel free to walk and walk and walk around some of the sites of Arrowtown. The information centre has a historical museum and art gallery. There is a historical Chinese settlement nearby that will amaze you at their ingenuity and perserverance to become successful in this arduous and often hostile place for them. The river walk is very pleasant. The crystal clear water has a few swimming holes along the way and a couple of tarzan swings to enjoy. We walked around the town checking out each shop and finding a few bargains on clothes and some gifts. On the edge of town the is the Memorial Lookout near the cemetary, both worth a visit and a few photos.

Up Tobin's Walk
Arrowtown is surrounded by snow capped mountains. Even though it didn't snow in the town itself when we were there, it was so nice to have the amazing breath taking views each day. I think it only rained once in the week we were there, but it never spoiled our day. We just found a nice coffee shop and waited for the wet stuff to finish falling. Regarding the cemetary, there were some interesting head stones to see. Beautiful rock desgins and some profound and even funny last words written on the graves. To burn off even more calories, we decided to take a hill climb up Tobin's Walk and enjoyed a wonderful view at the end. It was an hour and a half return, but we aren't the fittest people around, so some of the younger folk could probably do it in an hour easy. We were in no hurry anyway.
Cycling the countryside
Hiking poles are quite a good idea. Though we didn't have any ourselves, the owner of our lodge loaned us a couple of ski poles that did in fact make the climb a bit easier.

I did have plans to go up to Wanaka to take a photo of a famous tree in the lake there, but seeing how we didn't bother hiring a car for the week and the cost of a return bus trip for the both of us was ridiculously expensive (I could've hired a car for the week for the same cost) we decided to hire a couple of bikes and go for a country ride, some 25 kilometres. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do like riding. My wife on the other hand doesn't and the rolling hills and her not-so-fit legs didn't work well together, but she still did it, so good on her.

Queenstown dock
We rode from Arrowtown to the bungy jumping at Kawarau Bridge. We both did the bungy jump last time we were here in 2016. 43 metres was plenty high for me, but I did it twice. That will do for the rest of my life I think.

Because our flight home was quite late, we ended our week by spending the day wandering around Queenstown, only 20 kilometres away. After being dropped off at the airport at Frankton by our lodge owners, we caught a bus into Queenstown and began a lazy explore. We had lovely lunch down by the pier where we noticed the lake cruise on the TSS Earnslaw, a 100-year-old twin screw coal fired steamer. It was a two hour cruise on the very frigid Lake Wakatipu, but it was nice and not overly expensive, but we didn't stay out on the deck for too long, even with our warm clothes on. Back in town we found a little book shop and made some purchases. It's a lovely town by a beautiful lake, with a nice promonade, great scenery and tasty eats, not to mention interesting entertainment by buskers. Queenstown is pretty. Surrounded by amazing scenery. It's is a major centre for snow sports in New Zealand, with people from all over the country and many parts of the world travelling to ski at four main mountain ski fields. It was a good week. Relaxing with great photo oppotunities.

ms_travelr says:
Sometimes the best time to visit a place is off season and with no agenda....seems like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing this.
Posted on: Mar 26, 2017
View from Postmasters
Gift Store
Gift Store
Buckingham Street
The Stables, a lovely restaurant.
The Stables, a lovely restaurant.
Dorothy Browns Cinema
Dorothy Brown's Cinema
Tobins Walk
Tobin's Walk
Arrowtown Hotels & Accommodations review
Cosy Amongst the Hills
My wife and I really enjoyed our stay here. The accommodation was pleasant, clean and cosy. We were a little surprised at the lack of a wardrobe in th… read entire review