Mikulov

Mikulov Travel Blog

 › entry 5 of 50 › view all entries

The approach to historical Mikulov from any direction will present you with a unique panorama and the silhouette of the chateau and Goat Hill between lime outlier of Turoldu and Holy Hill. More then eight hundred years old town hides in its heart rare sacral and architectonical monuments. Renaissance Square, original Jewish quarter placed under the chateau and many others.

History of this important border town dates back to times of the Big Moravia.  Already in 11th century stood here a castle under which ramparts, on the important medieval business trail, had the town gradually grown. The town centre was encircled by stone walls, which remains are preserved in the town centre until today.
     The first written record is dated 1249, when Mikulov and its neighbourhood were passed on, by margrave Přemysl, Jindřich Liechtenstein for field services against margrave’s father.

This aristocratic family held the town approximately tree hundred years.

Since year 1575 had been Mikulov and whole manor destiny linked with Dietrichstein family. Mikulov domain, Renaissance chateau, was, during its most famous times, residence of Olomouc bishop cardinal František Dietrichstein and Mikulov was at that time practically the capital of Moravia.
    
Important chapter of Mikulov history had been written by Jews. Jewish town, mentioned in written sources from 14th century, belonged in medieval times to the most important in Moravia, because here was the residence of rabbi.
Jewish cemetery
Wide cemetery and important monuments are proofs of local community size and power; all monuments are described in educational trail which leads through the Jewish quarter.
  

Second important community which differed by position and way of life were Baptists, who came here in 16th century from area of today’s Switzerland. Practical and experienced Baptists occupied, with considerable contribution to economical as well as social development of Southern Moravia, extraordinary positions in economical structure. Known is also Baptists’ ceramics; they also were famous vine-growers.

 Mikulov also was important centre of education. The oldest school probably existed near rectory and the church of Saint Václav.

Boom of education came in year 1631with arrival of Piarists, who founded here grammar school, from it grew intuition where studied people of famous names such are Jan Evangelista Purkyně, one of the important Czech scientists from the national renaissance, or the first president of the Austrian republic and native from Dolní Dunajovice Karel Renner. The Grammar school has been educating future university students and specialist until today.     
     Mikulov is situated in Southern part of protected landscape area Pálava and biosphere preserve Dolní Morava under UNESCO patronage. In the town area and its direct neighbourhood you can find nature preserves Holly Hill, Turold or on south Šibeničník with rare steppe vegetation.         
     The town has kept its late medieval shape and that is why its heart in year 1952 was listed as preserve. Rare atmosphere of this ancient wine town, where the time was stopped, attracts many tourists every year.

source: http://www.mikulovskoregion.cz/

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Jewish cemetery
Jewish cemetery
Synagoge
Synagoge
Jewish Cemetery
Jewish Cemetery
Holy Hill
Holy Hill
Mikulov chateau
Mikulov chateau
Jewish cemetery
Jewish cemetery
Pálava hills
Pálava hills
Mikulov
photo by: klaaRA