MERAUKE, the Unexpected Trip

Merauke Travel Blog

August 15-18, 2007

Starting by unexpected invitation of a hunting trip to Merauke with unreasonable reasonable price *LOL*, finally I put my first step on Papua, the second largest island in the world after the Greenland!! Wuhuuy! It was happened because of Mr. Johanes Gluba Gebze, Merauke Government Head. He invited us by Platinum Photography (thx, Roy-Ferry-Niki-Jak-Anton) to see Indonesia Independence Day celebration and to enjoy Merauke nature and hospitality.

I “knew” Merauke since was a kid as I sang “dari Sabang sampai Merauke” the national song, but I didn’t know Merauke as well as I sang that song. I just knew Merauke as the easternmost district of Indonesia, bordering Indonesia and Papua New Guinea (PNG).

Kids in Lampu Suar fisherman village
That was all! But these days I got a special chance to experience my self this remote land; to see the culture, the nature, the people and the spirit they have.

Being edge of Indonesia doesn’t mean Merauke isolated. Many ethnic lives here, from 17 papua ethnics with their own languages and cultures to new comer from Java, Sulawesi, Molucca, etc. Instead 65% of Merauke populace was the comers! Marind Animha is the native ethnic; this name means the true people.

I felt not easy to fly to Merauke in a late night. I imagined Fokker or any small plane I would be in half of this 10 hours flight! But I was mistaken. Boeing 737 with about 240 seats brought us from Jakarta to Merauke comfortably.

the girls and gonna be boat
We were leaving Jakarta at 21.45 WIB and arriving in Merauke at 09.35 WIT in the next morning. 2 hours time difference between these places made the flight seem longer.

We stayed in Asmat Hotel, one best hotel Merauke has. We went around by 2 comfy-always cool buses, guided by friendly-helpful-knowledgeable local officers, also good served 3 times meals plus snacks a day. What I could expect more for a trip? ^^ it was luxurious trip I ever had in Indonesia according my backpack standard. *LOL. Indeed those all accommodation and expensive flights was treated and arranged by Mr. Gebze. How lucky we were!! ^^

From Jakarta, I and my friends intentionally prepared a lot cash and small changes to anticipate “unavailable” ATM or credit card service and to give tip for anyone we took picture of; but in fact... we almost didn’t use the money at all. Everything already provided. The people were friendly and didn’t ask money to get them photographed (not as people said before we left Jakarta). Just show the shots, they’ll smile..

ramafurry says:
woooow... kalo punya unexpected unreasonable reasonable price lagi bilang bilang dong aaaah
Posted on: Dec 29, 2008
Merauke girls
Kids in Lampu Suar fisherman villa…
Kids in Lampu Suar fisherman vill…
marind lady
marind lady
the marind couple
the marind couple
marind old man
marind old man
staring the future
staring the future
Marind Lady, the native ethnic fro…
Marind Lady, the native ethnic fr…
before sunset in Lampu Suar
before sunset in Lampu Suar
Merauke Sights & Attractions review
The higher than me ANT-NEST; Musamus in WASUR National Park
A giant ants house locally called MUSAMUS, is easy to find along the way in Wasur National Park, Merauke, Papua. It was awesome for me to see these ti… read entire review
Merauke