To the Fort and Mt. Defiance

Ticonderoga Travel Blog

So after stopping at DD for some coffee (my old standby- medium FV iced, light & sweet, please melt the sugar) with a bagel, I went Route 4 West all the way to Whitehall, NY where I went on Route 22 to Ticonderoga.  It took a little doing (I missed the turn for the Fort and almost ended up at the Ferry to VT).  It was a long ride in to the Fort's parking area, but I made it.  $12 later, I was into the Fort.  Yup, took some pretty pictures.

It's a nice place, restored.  I liked the cannons and got there just in time to see the end of the weapons demonstration- including the firing of the cannon.  Then I just walked around.  I saw some displays in the museum about the USS Ticonderoga.

A lot of the history for the Ticonderoga area I knew from being at Mount Independence last month.  But it was still cool to see, plus being on Lake Champlain and NOT in Vermont.

One thing they had was a musket that you can pick up (it's a replica, I know).  Didn't seem that heavy, but I wouldn't want to lug it around.  And they compared it to an American M-16... it's for fighting, not for hunting.  I didn't end up going to the King's Gardens b/c of the plethora of yellowjackets I'd seen (I'm allergic), plus my allergies were bothering me just enough to know that visiting the Gardens was a headache waiting to happen.

After I left the Fort, I went to Mount Defiance.  It was cool ride up, but no trails.  Just a couple cannons, a flag, and a picnic area.  But you could see the Fort from there, plus Mt. Independence in Orwell, Vermont.  From there I went to Ticonderoga's DD where I got a not so nicely done coffee and a muffin.

Mt. Defiance
A view of Fort Ticonderoga from Mt…
A view of Fort Ticonderoga from M…
photo by: princeza_9