Day 8: Back to Delhi

New Delhi Travel Blog

Driving to Delhi

On sunday Edo got very sick and he was worried that he would not be able to take the bus ride back to our hotel in Delhi. I had already finished packing, so I went to look for the other members of the commission to tell them that Edo was not fit to travel. Some of them were taking a last swim in the pool, while others were having breakfast or packing their things. I arrived at the room where we had the party last night and the others were busy cleaning it a little bit. The table in that room was completely covered with empty bottles of beer and other drinks. Everybody had left some rupis at their room for the hotel staff that would have to clean up after we left. I found Marij at the room of Marlous, who was also feeling very sick that morning.

A new neighbourhood
Marij followed me to our room to see Edo, but we all agreed that leaving Edo and Marlous behind was not an option, so they got dressed, while Casper helped Edo to pack and I walked to a nearby shop to get some food and water for the road. I had visited the same shop for three days now and everyday I ordered the same things, but the shop owner still wanted to bargain for it. This seemed to me to be a complete waste of both our times (especially because it was still early in the morning and I had been drinking a lot the night before), as we had had the exact same discussion the day before, but in the end we arrived at the same price as the other times and I walked back again.

When everybody was ready again, we left our hotel and started another long bus ride back to Delhi.

Paul and Alco
Edo and Marlous were sitting in the front row and hoped that the bus would not bump too much. About six other members of our group had decided to take a train ride back from Agra to Delhi and they had left earlier that morning. As we left Agra Sanne thought she saw another elephant, but since she was the only one that saw it, nobody really believed her. The ride to Delhi was pretty boring and allthough I still enjoyed watching the countryside of India, I soon fell asleep like everyone else in our bus. We stopped once at the same restaurant where we had stopped on our way to Agra and arrived in Delhi late that afternoon. Everybody started to get more alive when we drove through Delhi again, but it still took us about one hour to drive through the evening rush hour to Karol Bagh. Sanne, Casper and I were discussing where we would eat that evening and we finally decided that we would eat at the chinese restaurant again that we had visited earlier that week. At the hotel some of our rooms were switched and Edo, Casper and me now had an other room on the fourth floor that did not have any windows in it. We unpacked and watched the cricket match untill the rest of the group was ready to leave. Paul joined us and he explained the cricket rules to us and the game began to make some sense to me now. Charlotte was looking at the pictures on my camera and she was angry that I had not made a lot of pictures from her in the first week, even though we were together almost all the time. I told her that I usually only take pictures of buildings without people in front of them, but I promised that I would take some pictures of her in the following days.

When everybody was ready we first went back to the tailor to see whether our suits were finished. My pantalon was a bit too long, so they adjusted it and it would be ready on Tuesday. After that we went to the restaurant that was at the end of the street. The waiter recognised us from the other day and he even asked where Edo was, who was still in bed in our hotel. We ordered several dishes and after our meal we smoked a waterpipe with tobacco. When we walked back to our hotel I was talking to Alco about how easy it was to get used to the traffic and the crowds in Delhi after only one week, as we strolled around a busy market street with cars and motorcycles driving all around us while blowing their horns. When we arrived in the lobby Tim was checking the internet and he told me that PSV had not won the match of that day and that they had dropped from the top position to third place. By now there was only one more match to go to finish the season and there were three teams that could win the competition on the next Sunday: Ajax, AZ and PSV. Later that evening I made a bet with Sanne and Mark that PSV would still win the competition, allthough they could only win if both Ajax and AZ lost. We played poker and some other card games again that evening and after a while I felt so cold from the airconditioning in the bar that I put on my sweater. I had only brought that sweater with me because we had left early in the morning from Holland and I hadn't expected that I would wear it in India. Allthough the temperature had not dropped below 30 degrees even during the nights in the entire week, I still managed to catch a cold because of all the airconditioning that was used in every hotel, office or restaurant.

New Delhi