Day 10: the Sikh temple and DHV

New Delhi Travel Blog

The Sikh temple

On Tuesday our M&I-group would visit another engineering company, DHV, together with the Energy & Materials-group in the afternoon. We did not have an official programme in the morning, but I decided to visit a Hindu temple and a Sikh temple in Delhi together with Erik, Casper and Charlotte. Edo decided to stay in bed that morning, because he was still feeling a bit sick. The four of us were able to fit in the back of a tuktuk together and our driver promised us to wait for us if we would visit his shop after our visits to the temples.

We arrived at the Hindu temple around 10 o' clock. The temple had the same style as the temple for Krishna we had visited earlier that week on our drive to Agra, allthough the complex was not as large and it was not as crowded as the other one.

Charlotte, Casper and Erik
After the hindu temple we drove with our tuktuk to the Sikh tempel, which was not very far. The Sikh's are followers of a separate religion in India that originates from the hindu religion. Sikh's can easily be recognised on the streets: they wear characteristic turbans, because they are not allowed to show their hair in public or cut their hair and shave their beard. Some Sikh's carry swords or daggers as a sign of their religion and they have the reputation of being fearless warriors with a long tradition in the Indian army, allthough every Sikh I have met made a very peacefull, wise and friendly impression.

Admission to the temple was free, but I donated some money there, because everyday the kitchen at the temple provides free food for everybody that wants it, no matter what their religion or social status is. The food is prepared by Sikh volunteers as a service and they receive their money mainly from donations. Every Sikh temple around the world has a free kitchen and this one provided foor for about 10.000 people every day. Inside the temple we had to cover our heads. I asked a man at the temple whether I was allowed to take pictures at the temple courtyard with a pool in it and he told me that it was ok.

Blog still under construction, the rest follows soon

The courtyard at the Sikh temple