Nice glass and Moomin trolls.

Helsinki Travel Blog

Inside the Rock Church.

After a bit of a late night and a rush to get up(forgot to set the alarm and woke up when it was announced over the tannoy that we were in Helsinki), we headed downstairs for a rushed breakfast as we had a tour bus to catch.

Since we only had about 7 hours in town we thought it'd be a good idea to take the tour and get the important bits done.

The first stop on the tour was the Rock Church. So called because when it was commissioned, the architects reckoned it would be easier to build the church into the rock instead of trying to make way for a new building. The result is very impressive, especially the copper ceiling.

Our second stop was the Sibelius monument. An abstract sculpture dedicated to the famous Finnish composer. We only had around 10 mins at each stop so it was a very quick few photos then back on the bus.

After the tour we hit the shops. I love anything by iittala. Simple, stylish and always unique. I'm collecting the little round candle holders at the mo. Bought a few of them, mum bought cups and saucers. Then of course there's the Moomin trolls. Spending my younger years growing up in Sweden I hold them very close to my heart and I wasn't leaving without one. We found the Moomin store in one of the shopping centres and I came away with a couple of things from there. All in all, a successful days shopping.

The copper ceiling in the church
The copper ceiling in the church
The Sibelius monument
The Sibelius monument
Sibelius
Sibelius
A boat we had a cuppa on.
A boat we had a cuppa on.
Inside the boat cafe.