Sahara deserts

Bahariya Travel Blog

I had forgotten that camping entails waking up during the night with sore hips, and having to unentangle from the sleeping bag to go to the toilet. Still, it was wonderful to be able to peek out into the stars through the biting cold, and to wake up surrounded by desert beauty.

While driving through the desert today we came across dense fields of fig trees and a small village in the oasis of Bahariya. It looks like a ghost town, with acres of empty houses and plots on either side, but that is from rapid building rather than emptying, as the Egyptian government is trying to relieve overpopulation in Cairo by encouraging people to move (rather unsuccessfully), even adding a 35 000 Egyptian pound inducement (about A$10 000).

We drove through the black desert all morning, until white rocky limestone outcrops started to mingle with the basalt planes. We stopped for lunch in the middle of the white desert, with a lunar landscape of limestone domes, ridges, towers and mushrooms. We went for a long walk through the desert, and Michelle climbed a couple of mushrooms, grazing her knee on one. I declined, saying it wasn't really my thing. The we walked up to the ridge and sat down in the shade, talking together while enjoying a view over the spectacular landscape.

Bahariya