Panama - Bocas and the city

Bocas del Toro Travel Blog

Panama. toilet.

After a long trip from Costa Rica ending up in an Apocolypse Now type boat ride from Canuignola to the island, I ended up looking for a hostel on what was reputed to be Panama´s best beach spot. The hostel I chose was classy, my $4 for the night got me a bed (complete with bed bugs, which bugged me for about 10 days after this..), an all night bender and a ground floor that was entirely flooded the next morning. Nice.

I did manage to go for some snorkelling in the rain the next day, and then decided on account of the bad weather to make a break for Panama city. I got back from the snorkelling trip with about 15 mins till the last boat left the island and therefore ended up on my 9 hour bus ride to the city with wet boardshorts  on and lets not forget those bed bugs.

Panama City
I certainly won´t. I arrived in Panama City at 4am and the quest for accomodation started with another guy who I had met on the bus. We were refused from the first place we went to on the grounds that they don´t accomodate gays (clearly my Spanish for "separate rooms" is not yet up to scratch...) and eventually managed to convince the next place that we were not that way inclined and, yes we did want to hire them for more than an hour. Spent the next day recovering and psyching up to see the Canal.

Which never happened. I thought it would be great to see the canal at sunset but got lost en route and when i turned up there, the viewing platform was closed off for the day... Strong work Geoffrey.

So, Panama is not top of the list so far.