Let me tell you about HCMC

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

I've been in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) for about 3 days now. Yesterday we did the tunnels from the war and the War Remnants museum. Let me tell you, I never felt worse about being from America than I did yesterday. But, what can you do. I can't go back and change where I'm from, and it's not like I'm unhappy with being American. I just felt bad. You would too, if you were in a museum that was basically anti-american, showing deformed people, dead babies in jars, (Not joking here!!) and clothing/schoolbooks/shoes of children who were killed by Americans. It sucks, it really does.

Anyway, I've seen numerous tanks and planes and bombs and everything which has been amazing. I love stuff like that, I don't know why, but I do. But Saigon, No, I don't love Saigon. There are about 10 million or more people in this city alone, and they all seem to be riding motorbikes at all times. Crossing the street here takes practice - thankfully I've been practicing in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. Here, they don't slow down for pedestrians. They hardly go around them. In fact, we're supposed to go around them. I've almost gotten hit numerous times, so now I'm just opting to ride the motorbikes instead of just walk. It's okay.. riding motorbikes is ridiculously fun and at the same time, ridiculously dangerous. I'm just amazed every time I try to go out. It's just to the point where I'd rather just stay in my guesthouse/the general area of my guesthouse because it's just too scary. It doesn't matter, though, because I'm leaving this city tomorrow for Nha Trang.

Generally, though, so far Vietnam is a lot cleaner than any other country I've been to. Thailand is the worst- sometimes I have to wear a scarf over my nose cause it smells so bad. Cambodia is a bit better than Thailand, but extremely dusty. Laos is just in between, but I love laos so I'm not gonna dis it. I haven't seen many piles of trash anywhere really.. so I'm begining to hope they have an actual waste removal system. Honestly, and I know it's weird, but the other countries just put all their trash in a pile on the street, and the garbage men come to collect it and they just put it into a bigger pile somewhere else. But it doesn't go to a dump, it just goes to another pile on the street. Then, people go thru the piles of garbage for plastic bottles, cans, and anything that can be used for anything else. Seriously. I don't feel guilty for throwing away aluminum cans or waterbottles because I know that someone will come and pick it up and do whatever with it (i'm assuming they get money for turning it in to be recycled) They do that here in Vietnam, too, because i was sitting in a park and someone wanted my half full water bottle. No way, man.

Vietnam also has Diet Pepsi which makes me very happy. Also it is Monsoon season in Southeast Asia so you're guaranteed rain every single day, and not just rain, but monsoon rain. and right now it looks like it's about to start raining!

I feel like I've seriously neglected this thing and now I'm coming home in 2.5 weeks. 2.5 weeks! what the hell!? Didn't I just get here!? My plan right now is to go to Nha Trang, Vietnam, to visit a friend, and then make my way back to Phnom Penh. I made so many friends there, and I promised them I'd come back so, being the loyal friend I am, I'm going back for a few days or so. Then I'll either take a $10 bus ride to Bangkok or a $60 flight. The difference is that the flight takes an hour and the bus ride takes about a day. I don't mind the ride, in fact I love bus rides, but the road from Siem Reap to the border of Cambodia is rumored to be absolutely terrible, and unpaved. So do I want to sit through that for 6 hours? We'll see. This is all really unimportant stuff that probably isn't interesting, but really I have nothing else to talk about (well, I do, but I just can't think of it right now)

Also check out my pictures!! I've uploaded SOO MANY and i'm uploading more right now! I need space on my camera, desperatly, so I've gotta do it now, where the internet is free. Oh, I was right! It's starting to pour!
I have arrived in Vietnam after spending a week in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I have no idea how I ended up staying there for a week, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the people in that town. I'm in Saigon, Vietnam right now, and tomorrow we're going to see some neat Vietnam war things. After tomorrow, I believe we are going our seperate ways, and I am heading to the beaches of Nha Trang to meet up with a friend, and then back to Phnom Penh for a few days, or another week. It's hard to believe I only have 3 weeks left out here- time has seriously flown by, and I'm sure it will continue to do so! So far I haven't seen much of Vietnam except there are a million people everywhere you look and there are a lot of animal body parts for sale to eat that I don't think I'll try. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay away from meat while I'm out here. It just seems like the right thing to do.

Anyway, That's the plan right now, although very tentative, I do know I will go back to Phnom Penh instead of flying from Hanoi, Vietnam to Bangkok. I'm really looking forward to relaxing on the beach in Nha Trang. If you would have told me I would be going to 4 different countries before I left for this trip, I wouldn't of believed you. I had no idea I'd end up here, but I'm glad I have.