Studying Spanish in Spain

Barcelona Travel Blog

(to be updated...)

Tomorrow is the last day of my 2-week Spanish course here in Barcelona, a good time to summarise this experience.

I took a course with IH (international house: http://www.ihes.com/), which also have branches in other cities across spain and also in south america. The price is 190/week, and they can also arrange accomodation (175/week at the student residence, or other options).

I stayed at the students residence in Bona nova, a bit way off centre. I chose to stay there as I figured it would be a good way of getting to know the other students. Turned out to be a very good decision, but more on that in a different entry...

Now about the School

First of all, it´s situated 5 min walking distance from Placa Cataluña, which means it´s very accessable and close to everything.

At the first day there was an exam to measure the level of each student. I took it and was sent to the lower intermediate class. I have studied Spanish before, and was a bit sorry I didn´t refresh my memory at home before the course (I know - whatta nerd!).

Classes usually have of up to 10 people, ours had 8. Our studies consisted of grammer, vocabulary and a lot of conversations on Spanish culture and history. Our teacher, Eugenia, is absolutly incredible - she has a great sense of humour and a real talent for teaching. We studies everyday from 9:30 to 13:30, with a PAUSA for coffee at the school´s terrace.

In the afternoons we had guided tours from the school going to various attractions: Barrio Gothic, La Pedrera, La Segrada Familia, Las Ramblas, etc. These tours were very educating and a good chance to practice my Spanish.

Barcelona