Rio de Janeiro -- Day III

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

The Brazilian War Memorial.
Sometimes, we cannot understand true magnitude until we are standing next to it in person. Today we visited the war memorial to the soldiers lost in World War II here in Rio de Janeiro. I had seen pictures of the over one hundred foot monument which is two pillars with almost a sail on top, all build out of stone, in guide books and on the internet. However I didn’t realize how amazingly beautiful and stunning it really was until we pulled up to it. Our taxi driver (not Roberto, anymore!) is Mariro, whose name we cannot pronounce so we just  call him “Bob“, such as we did with the aboriginal man at the three sister’s mountains in New South Wales, Australia. Bob is a nice man who, by the looks of the inside of his small white car, that doubles as a taxi, is a religious man. Bob drove us to the war memorial and waited until we had taken all the pictures are little heart desired. I shot almost an entire roll of film as I was in pure amazement of the monument which consists of more than just the pillar, sail thing. There is also another statue of three soldiers, a vibrantly blue pool and waterfalls, a metal sculpture that, to me resembles fighter jets, and an eternal flame. I am not aware of how many Brazilians lost their lives fighting for the Brazilians of today. There were man guards are the memorial and they were okay with us taking pictures of them. They were all dressed in white and what looked like dress uniform. They were not very high in rank as I saw only one bar on their sleeves.  I believe the war memorial is something that most people traveling to Brazil only drive by and do not take the time to get out and marvel at. While we were there, at about two in the afternoon, there were only two people at the memorial, not counting the numerous guards, and it appeared the two people were Brazilian. For anyone visiting Rio I must say the war memorial is a must. It is just like something you would find in a third-world country, gigantic and simple. Worth your time to stop and shoot a few photos.