ahh, the food

Miami Travel Blog

My trip to see my sister in Miami was awesome, I had a great time, and by far what I will remember most is all the food we had. From the French Sandwicherie the first night with it's fabulous Dijon Vinegarette Sauce to the Peruvian ceviches at La Perla to the decadent experience of Karu, it was the meals that will remain with me forever!
Upon arrival I was wisked from the airport directly to South Beach where we started with drinks at Sushi Samba on Lincoln. From there we wandered the hotel-club-lounges of Collins Ave and ended at the aformentioned Sandwicherie (I know not where, by then).
A rainy Tuesday ruined our kayaking plans so we had a damp beach picnic with made-to-order chicken-finger subs and wraps from Publics (supermarket)... I recommend a side of the the Chipotle Honey sauce for dipping. After swimming in the bath-temperatured ocean, we returned "home" (south of Miami) to rest and refresh. Dinner was at La Perla, a peruvian hole-in-the-wall eatery of low to middle price with the greatest Ceviche and Papas a La Huancaina.
Wednesday I headed to South Beach early (my sister had a work-meeting at 9) so I was on the beach at about 9:30! So early, but it was my only beach-day. She joined me at 11 and we stayed until almost 2pm. I burnt despite lotion re-application, but that's what happens to pale people like me. We went for a late lunch at Sushi Samba (http://www.sushisamba.com/top.html) and had the lunch special: Samba Sashimi Seviche - delicious, but plenty for two people to share (we didn't know, we each got it! took lots home). The included salad of spring greens with a ginger dressing was fabulous and the miso soup was ok (but I didn't really want it since it was hot + hot outside!) and the main course of sushi, sashimi, and seviche was delicous. Our waiter was great too :).
That night we finally made it to Karu (http://www.karu-y.com), where my sister's boyfriend used to manage the restaurant. It's a brand new place in a huge new club complex. The dinner was indescribable... go to the website to check out the menu and pictures because anything I say can't do it justice. Each dish was designed to be a combination of many different tastes that mix beautifully together. By far our favorite was my sister's Divers Scallops with creamy rice, proscuitto and a fried egg along with a cucumber salad. The idea is to mix a bit of each thing onto the fork for one incredible bite! Incredible!! We toured the establishment and got the behind-the-scenes info and VIP treatment, meeting almost all the staff - it's great having connections like that!
I won't soon forget this trip to Miami, and who knows, after Taipei, maybe Jake and I'll head down there to live and work for a few years!!
Miami