Off to Liverpool

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Waverley Station
Our time in Scotland was up, and though we didn't have enough time (there's just never enough when you're on holiday, is there?) to visit other sites (the Border Abbeys, Eilean Donan and other castles, etc.), I'd say the 2.5 days were sufficient to cram in the important bits for first timers like ourselves.

After a quick and heavy breakfast, we made our way to the Waverly Station nearby.  And even as we were leaving, I was still in awe.  There's something about aged train stations that I love.  They may have the same busy vibe as airports do, with the familiar hustling and bustling about of stressed-out and tardy passengers, but it's got more to do with their archaic nature -- their own history, lasting longer than anyone's lifetime, the stories they have taken and brought back throughout the century from people now dead and gone, and the experiences they offer to the next generation traveling through their tracks.
Waverley
  It's amazing how one can get captivated by the splendor and antiquity of what is after all, seemingly just a train station.

Waverly is the second largest railway station in the UK.  It was built in the 19th century in the valley between the Old and the New Towns as the new Town started to grow.  Nor Loch, a freshwater loch, originally occupied the site and then later on became an open sewer.  Seeing that this was not appropriate for the city's advancement, the loch was drained to give way to the land's development.  It was initially used as part of the Princes Street Gardens but with the boom in railway travel in the UK taking place mid-century, several railway stations were then constructed.  The name Waverley was taken from the novels of Sir Walter Scott which the stations became collectively called, and was retained even after the North British Railway took over in the late 1800s.
Waverley

Leaving this place made me want to grab hold of anything that would keep me here just a little bit longer given that there was so much left unseen.  But then again, we were headed to Liverpool, home of the Beatles, and I had been looking forward to this for a very long time.  Roll Up the Mystery Tour, I say!

Isabetlog says:
Thank you :) I'm currently working on it and hope you check back soon.
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008
pearcetoyou says:
Well done. Very insightful travel blog . . . was ready for Liverpool.
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008