Let Me Take You Down 'Cause I'm Going to...Abbey Road

London Travel Blog

Abbey House
We may no longer be in Liverpool, but the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour wasn't quite over for us.  This was our last day in the UK, and having been here a couple of times before, I made sure we didn't miss Abbey Road this time around.

I had found seemingly vague directions on the net and luckily, it was fairly easy and we managed to find it right away without having to ask for further directions and getting lost.  The "spot" was suprisingly empty, save for a couple of tourists doing the usual walk across for the birdy.  I had no intentions of doing the same, and as I usually travel with a tabo (a plastic dipper native to the Philippines), the way Amelie travels with a gnome, I had originally just wanted to lay him on the road and take a photo.
Tabo & I on Abbey Road
  But seeing what a busy street it was made it completely impossible, and I feared the demise of Tabo on Abbey Road.  And we just could not have that to my inanimate traveling companion.

So off I go accompanying Tabo across the road.  Given how much traffic passes through that street, it was heartening to see how much respect motorists have for the tourists wanting to get a souvenir shot of the place.  They were ever so patient and not one honked their horns at us.  M got her turn, too, and we were shortly on our way back.  Walking up Grove End Road, the street that leads to Abbey Road, we noticed another one of those blue heritage home plaques.  The house turned out the previous one of Thomas Beecham, musical conductor and founder of both the London Philharmonic and Royal Philharmonic Orchestras.  Well, surprise, surprise!

Since there was no show for us to watch, we spent the rest of the day back in Camden for our last minute shopping, and finally packed up for our to return to Manila the next day.

Tabo & I on Abbey Road
At the corner of Grove End Road is…
At the corner of Grove End Road i…
...Abbey Road
...Abbey Road
Abbey Road
Abbey Road
Thomas Beechams former home
Thomas Beecham's former home
Today, its an osteopathy clinic
Today, it's an osteopathy clinic
Sneaking a shot