AsiaIndiaKargil

Srinagar to Leh Bus Ride

Kargil Travel Blog

This is a two day extravaganza of a bus ride passing from the lush green Alp-like mountains of Kashmir into the desert style mountains of Ladakh, eastern Jammu and Kashmir.   The scenery was pretty magnificent I must admit - but the road is one way - with a system in place to ensure traffic alowed only one way - and the road is literally the width of a vehicle - with barely an inch over - and a sheer drop to certain death.  Great!!!  add to that a front page story on the man next to me's newspaper saying 13 had died the  day before on the same road and i was pretty nervous!  But all was well and we passed over the tricky part to shallower ground!

..  One or two houses literally an hour from anything else.  mad.  The westerners on the bus teamed up at Kargil to share dorm styly rooms for 50p a night, with dinner another 50p!  The shared toilet was rough though...

Other notes of interest - being stopped by the extensive indian military ever couple of hours and marched off to a tent by ppl that look like militia in black with face masks to have our passport and visa details recorded.  Weather was now freezing cold up in mountains and me, nto realising it wouldbnt be boiling like everywhere else i had been, had my damned sandals on.  Ugh!  Scary military men also had dogs search the bus for bombs a couple of times.  This really is dodgy territory because of the problematic borders with China and mainly Pakistan.  Huge military presence in the entire area - slightly disturbing.  Wanted to take pictures but def nmot a good idea so had to restrain myself!

This is a two day extravaganza of a bus ride passing from the lush green Alp-like mountains of Kashmir into the desert style mountains of Ladakh, eastern Jammu and Kashmir. We stopped over for the night in Kargil - a small town which is, worryingly, the second biggest in Ladakh after Leh!  Very quiet life in this region...

The worst toilet in India?
The worst toilet in India?
Kargil