AsiaIndiaVarkala

Being tourists in Varkala

Varkala Travel Blog

Varkala is probably a nice town - but i didnt see much of it.  Instead we were staying in a typical tropical beach resort - ne you could find anywhere in the world i guess - which was set on a cliff overlooking the ocean - a long line of shops, restaurants with continental food and bob marley music made out of baboo - and at the end, a lovely beach.  And we could finally wear bikinis on this beach - ad you cant show any flesh anywhere in asia - even on the beach - the women go in in their saris to paddle!

However the men in this resort - as in the indians that work here - are obviously all perverts!  Its the place of their dreams seeing as they cant really see much flesh elsewhere - and they certainly treated the western women differently to how they would be able to treat indian women.

postcard perfect beach
  Gaggles of men are told to get away from the tourist beach by the police if they come trying to take photos of westerners in bikinis - which many do - not only here but at any tourist resort in India.  Dirty dirty!

We spent our time here relaxing - shopping - and chilling on the beach.  Oh, and drinking a lot!

The first day two of the group hired royal enfield motorbikes - so i hopped on the back for an interesting whirlwind to get petrol - crazy crazy - and then we rode down to the beach.  Pretty good fun - the boys in the group are all obsessed with Royal Enfields now - trying to plan how to ship them home.... tsk.

The beach had really strong and really high waves - so you ahve to be careful with swimming.  It was really shallow though so you can walk out and jump the waves - which was pretty fun.

yay!
  Did that for a bit - had some lunch - and then treated myself to a full body massage.  As per the description of men above - the guy insisted it would be possible for a man to massage me if i wanted.  I explained it would be very fine to have a woman - but he persisted.  Finallyhe gave up, and I went to the oman for the massage!  Like i say - perverts - and even funnier when my male friend asked for a massage by a woman and he explained how impossible that would be.  Its actually illegal for men to massagewomen and vice versa in India.  Men and women arent even allowed to touch in public, and even in the clubs, they dance without touching.  So they try to take the piss with western women who have no problem withit in their culture, like i said!

anyway the culture might be conservative between the sexes - but not within, as i found out as i had a nice head massage and the woman just undid my bikini top to so my neck.

i was a little embarassed - and then she was like - right get your bikini off!  haha.  well, i got over my modesty and went and showered off all the sand from the beach and got up on the bed for a wicked massage with lovely oils - she really worked my circulation!  Bit embarassing but funny!  No modesty here.

Then we all went for a dinner - and after dinner drinks ending in raucous water fights and partying with the locals.  Pretty fun but we were a bit our of control.  See pictures!

The next day was similar.  Woke up late and hungover and chilled all day at beach.  Tried to write journal - was only one on beach - but was questioned about my life story by the drum seller - who had tried tosell me drums about 5 times the previous day - and the lifeguard who got rid of the drum seller - and a single traveller from england named Joe.

ASfter all this i finally had a good swim, and then went and showered for dinner.

Dinner was a yummy thai curry - and then back to the same bar as before for more drinks and water fights.  Althpough we were charged for the 38 waters they threw on us afterwards.  Cheeky buggers.  The single travellor turned up to and had a whale of a time.  I'm not sure he'd seen anything like it.

We had a quick paddle on the beach and then back for bed, as an early start the next day to go stay with a family in the backwaters.

the royal enfield