Soweto and SOS

Mzuzu Travel Blog

It was a chilly day. We were somewhere near to the market area and then suddenly it started to rain heavily. We had no umberellas with us, so we just ran to the nearest gas-station. I saw a guy who had t-shirt on that said: SWEDEN. Well, if you don't know, Sweden is neighboring country to Finland- our enemy. :D Just kiddin'. Anyway, I said out loud- very loud- SWEDEN!! That guy realised that I was speaking of his shirt. He came to me and then I said that we come from Finland which is near to Sweden. He said he likes Sweden a lot, but of course as a finnish I told him that I don't like Sweden. :D And then we smiled. What a story?? Well okay, this wasn't it all. That guy asked us what we are doing here. So we told him, and as he found out that we didn't have many contacts in Mzuzu, he said that we could come to his church and to help at the orphanage they have.

So we did.. We went to visit their church that coming sunday and of course the pastor asked Sami if he would be giving the sermon. But no, Sami wasn't prepared, but I was. I quess it's still taboo in most African countries that woman shouldn't speak.. But they were okay with that. They still took Sami as a leader- even though I was the leader- which was very annoying. But.. I shared what I had in my heart. Well, I quess that translator added much more to my sermon than what I said. If I said three words, he said twenty. But anyhow, it was a lot of fun.

Two days after we went back- to see that orphanage. It wasn't really an orphanage, but more like a school for orphans and to those that don't have much money themselves. It was strange, they didn't really ask us to do anything, just to follow and then participate in few games.

. And of course in the end they asked if we could help them with some money issues. That's how it usually goes. I'm used to it, but I still feel stupid while explaining how we are here just for volunteer work and how we pay for ourselves and that we don't have much money and blaablaablaa.

We also visited is SOS- village in Mzuzu. It was amazing place, I wish that they would have understood that we wanted to volunteer for work.. But they also asked for money. SOS- villages were amazing anyway. It wasn't like normal orphanage I've seen.. Those orphanages that I've seen has had few big rooms, 8-10 girls staying on their own in one room and only one or two nurses.. For all the rooms. Not even one room one nurse.. But SOS- wow, it was something else.

There were five houses near to each other. In each house there was 8 oprhans, different ages, boys and girls- room for girls, room for boys, kitchen, bathroom, washing area and then one room for ”mom”. Moms were widows, who had come there to be moms for those children. They lived like a normal family, had breakfast, lunch, dinner.. They made the food, cleaned everything, washed their clothes, went to school.. They were sisters and brothers. I really enjoyed being there. It was great. My hope is that one I could have my own similar ”village”.. :)

Mzuzu