The end of the trip

Port of Spain Travel Blog

I got to the airport, checked in, and paid my departure tax (about $64 US!) then went through security as normal. The international terminal has lots of shops on airside, but not cash machines. Why this is an issue will be explained later.

We boarded the plane and waited for a while, without taking off. After a while the air stewardess announced in Spanish that we had to get off, and maybe leave about 3 hours later. At this point I had put all of my remaining money into a charity box, leaving me a little unable to call anyone or buy any souvenirs.

Three hours later, we boarded the plane again, waited, and then were taken off once more. We were given a food token for lunch which was useful, but then no news was forthcoming until about 6 o'clock. Apparently the runway at Port of Spain had been closed in the morning for emergency resurfacing but it had reopened at about 2 pm. However our plane had flown onto another route so we had to wait. The lack of communication from Aeropostal or the airport really tainted my previously positive view of the airport.

I wasn't too badly affected by this (other than being hungry again) but other people missed connections to Barbados, Guyana, or even across the Atlantic. I think the Holiday Inn at the airport in Trinidad must have done good business this night!

I got in at half past 10 in the evening, 36 hours after I was supposed to. Tired, ready for bed, but still happy from a great holiday, no matter what the small problems near the end.
AnointedEmpress says:
some of what you're saying sounds all too familiar... :)
Posted on: Dec 13, 2007