Third Day on the River

Angel Falls Travel Blog

Rainy, early start.

We set off down river again after breakfast at 9 o'clock, stopping at the end of the Churun river to drop off our big bags. With an orange tarp covering them, they're hardly camouflaged! The journey up river was more interesting - lots of white water, boulders and trees in the way! I didn't hold my daysack though so it was a lot less hassle. After getting splashed lots we reached our camp, with a good view of the falls from the river.

Lots of insects again - damsel flies on the river, a tiny green stick insect, and an army of soldier ants that attacked us while we were walking around some rapids! As I was in front I didn't get bitten because I got there before they knew we were coming!

The view of the falls was amazingly impressive - water seeming to bucket down from the clouds. It was circulating round in the wind currents, falling really slowly then suddenly breaking out fast. After lunch we got back in the boat to an island in the middle of the river, getting an even better view of the falls where its water jois the main Churun. The flow seems surprisingly small at ground level.

We crossed the second half on foot with water up to just below knee level - quite slippery! The route up to the falls was surprisingly strenuous, being led by the boat captain's son - he's far too fit and fast. We went through real primary jungle. Apart from our trudging the only noises were the chirps of frogs, the songs of birds, and the roar of the falls.

We reached the viewpoint after an hour or so of ascent - absolutely wonderful view. There's no way to get a sense of scale in photos but that didn't stop me trying! Attempting to get an idea of the time it takes water to fall from the top, I picked a bit to watch and it seemed to take about 30 seconds or so - freefall would only be around 10 seconds. There's a small section of waterfall at the bottom that would be big anywhere else! Lying down on the rock gave a real sense of isolation until it was time to leave. On the way back down we passed lots of tourists in flipflops - obviously over for the day from a beach holiday!
Angel Falls