Roraima - Day 5

Roraima Travel Blog

Today we hiked down from the Hotel to the camp at Rio Tek. Going down was certainly different to going up! I had been most nervous about the Teardrops but the water was a lot lighter today than it had been on the way up. I did my rucksack belt up tighter this time, allowing me to take the weight on my hips properly - much more comfortable!

The walk from the Hotel to the Base Camp took about 2 and a half hours, for only 2.2 miles of distance on the ground, but over 800 metres of descent. I got down in the faster half of our group and we sipped rum to pass the time until the rest of the group came - very civilised! We had a picnic lunch before setting off again.

The walk down to Rio Kukenan was gorgeously sunny - apparent as I now have a tan line on my head from my hat and two on my wrist from my watch and my GPS! Rain started just as we got to the river so we sat in a shelter and waited for it to ease off. This was another 5 miles. We crossed the river by boat again.

The walk across to Rio Tek was much better than on the way out as it was dry and the horrendous route from the river that I had a spectacular fall down on the way out was not so slippy! Only a mile for this section, we managed it quickly, but the end of day river crossing was more hairy than last time, with Eduardo helping us across. The walk up the hill was great and we celebrated a day well done.

Before going to bed there was a fantastic view of the milky way, illuminated on the horizon by purple from lightning. This came before a heavy storm that lasted most of the night, but fortunately our tents remained dry.
photo by: Sads79